Removing The Camel's Hump!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing The Camel's Hump!

I guess anyone who has built a Cabrio, and many who currently own one, will be aware of the 'Hump' in the top of the boot lid which does not sit flush with the rear tub. Marlin say they deliberately raised the centre of the top of the boot lid to allow for the additional weight of the spare wheel pressing it down. Despite my spare sitting on my boot lid for 5 years 'The Hump' remained.

18 months ago I addressed the issue by slowly warming the boot lid with a hot air gun over a lengthy period and applying G clamps to a straight edge. Initially this looked very good.

However, over the intervening months 'The Hump' has re-appeared!

Not to be beaten, I have addressed the issue a second time, by again clamping the lid to a straight edge, but this time I added 4 GRP webs to to the top corners to hold the lid in the shape I want.

This has worked reasonably well, but the effect was lessened when I had to remove part of the web that ran to the extreme of the corner when I added my boot locks. I may add a fifth web to reinstate the control of the shape I want.

This is a remedy which, if carefully applied, could be adopted by any Cabrio owner even if the lid has been painted.

Last edited by Mike; 04-09-12, 12:03 PM.

Re: Removing The Camel's Hump!

Is this what is known as plastic memory? I guess its caused by the curing heat whilst laminating the grp and if so will be a devil to remove unless you adopt an approach similar to this on Mike.

Comment

Working...
    X