Propshaft, Which way round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propshaft, Which way round?

In the same vein as another thread I noticed an anomaly in the Mk2 build manual the other day.

It states that the propshaft should be fitted with the sliding joint to the rear.

Propshaft extract.jpg

On every car I have ever seen which has a propshaft, the sliding joint is closest to the gearbox output flange, not the back axle.

At least two reasons, the open sliding end of the joint is facing the flow of water, dust and road debris which will accelerate the wear on the splines, also the sliding end is heavier, so increases the unsprung weight of the back axle, worse still at the nose of the pinion. There are probably other reasons but those two are pretty compelling.

Is there some specific reason Marlin assembly instructions reverse what I thought was a firm, well established rule?
    Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 01-10-12, 10:10 PM.

Re: Propshaft, Which way round?

Paul Moorhouse used mostly Triumph running gear and they have the sliding joint at the rear with a fixed diff or a two piece prop with a fixed central carrier. My Marina workshop manual shows it with a two piece and the sliding joint at the rear.

You have a point about the weight but will it make much difference with that lump of an axle? I think the choice is yours.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
      Paul Moorhouse used mostly Triumph running gear and they have the sliding joint at the rear with a fixed diff or a two piece prop with a fixed central carrier. My Marina workshop manual shows it with a two piece and the sliding joint at the rear.

You have a point about the weight but will it make much difference with that lump of an axle? I think the choice is yours.
      Agree with Ben, http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4204...1-pm-631k?da=y is the relevant BL manual page.
      But as with the discussion on axle wedges, I think it is a personal choice, the same loads must exist at both ends of the prop.

Comment

Changed mine round earlier this year as per the Marlin manual (slider to the rear) and all seems fine.

Comment

Working...
        X