• Show
Clear All

• Expansion tank

Hi Mike were did you get your shiny expansion tank from ? I like a lot

Re: Expansion tank

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
    Hi Mike were did you get your shiny expansion tank from ? I like a lot
    Hi Lee

I made it myself from a stainless 90mm diameter tube, squashed into an oval, and then welded oval plates on the ends. The neck was difficult to source - you'll find loads of people selling ally, but AK Sportscars (Cobras) in Peterborough sold me this stainless neck and cap (not cheap, as it has been machined from a block of stainless)

[IMG]
    Expansion Tank 90mm Tube Re- shaped by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    Expansion Tank Preparation by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    Header Tank - Work in Progress by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was so pleased with it I made myself a washer bottle to go along side it - even though I already had a plastic one! This small 25mm screw cap and neck was even harder to source, and was shipped in from Australia!!!!

[IMG]
    Stainless Steel Weld On Filler Neck & Cap by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    Washer Bottle by Mike's Marlin BMW Cabrio, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Mike; 02-10-12, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Nice work I am on a engine bling mission for next year mmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by CosworthCabrioLee View Post
        Nice work I am on a engine bling mission for next year mmmmmmm
        Lee
        These are easy enough to make yourself - all you need is a good stainless steel welder - then rest is just good old fashioned elbow grease. If you can engineer Power steering, these should be a doddle by comparison.
        They do look nice together!

IMG_2882.jpg
        Last edited by Mike; 02-10-12, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I found this in the cbs catalogue - might be an option for an alloy option?
          necks.JPG
          Last edited by cameronfurnival; 03-10-12, 10:04 AM. Reason: added alloy part so I dont look too thick

Comment

Won't weld to stainless though?

I wouldn't have thought they would be that hard to make especially on a CNC machine.

It's a treat so see really neat welding. Although external sheet metal stainless welds are easy, provided the setup and fit are good. No filler rod needed, just run the torch around the joint and the metal flows together so smoothly with stainless.

While the tanks compliment each other beautifully the different caps trouble me (esp. the pressed coolant cap), although perhaps it's better that way, helps to differentiate the different duties of each tank.

It would be relatively easy to make a matching cap for the coolant which bayonets onto the same mount and utilises the same pressure relief components of the pressed cap.

Just thinking out loud!

Comment

ah yes different metals, duh - and shows I can be quite thick at times - but hey, if you dont ask you never find out right?

Although I am quite adept with a mig (now) on steel, I would love to have a go at TIG but all the local college courses seem very expensive and are geared up to professionals. Maybe someone in the club might want to do a masterclass at some stage???

Comment

Originally posted by Robert in Cumbria View Post

........While the tanks compliment each other beautifully the different caps trouble me (esp. the pressed coolant cap), although perhaps it's better that way, helps to differentiate the different duties of each tank.

It would be relatively easy to make a matching cap for the coolant which bayonets onto the same mount and utilises the same pressure relief components of the pressed cap.

Just thinking out loud!

Hi Robert
                You have me concerned now - have I missed something?
                The expasion tank has a standard pressure relief neck and cap.
                The vertical tank is a washer bottle, so requires a simple screw neck fitting for topping up with fresh water.

Is your concern about the aesthetics, or function?

I'm intrigued

Mike

Comment

Well I am not a master but I have done quite a bit of TIG.

DC using an inverter will weld steel, stainless steel and lead (and other metals like copper) using a TIG torch and (pure) Argon gas. Low power will do a lot, because stainless has a low dispersion of heat and it is only hot in the immediate vicinity of the weld. In simple terms, stainless is easy with a little practice. You can do a lot with a 100 amp set. 90% of the time 30 to 50 Amps are enough.

AC is required for Aluminium together with an HF source. A square wave dedicated set is best, with slope in and out and variable polarity (longer or shorter pulses of positive and negative current which helps control the cleaning of the base metal). Aluminium is much more power hungry due the the ability of Aluminium to soak up heat, aluminium tends to be thicker than stainless, so more mass, more heat, more power. The other big factor with aluminium is it tends to be hot short, it drips and sags easily! Although not as bad as lead, which was what I welded most. Consequently welding aluminium is a very skilled and demanding process, best done by somebody who is doing it all day every day. Also I would say the gear would be at least four times more expensive, for any practical work (say 5mm thick of any quantity) at least a 200 Amps set is needed if only to get a reasonable duty cycle. But it's a challenge!

If anybody is interested I will do a more in depth post on the subject.

Comment

Purely aesthetics Mike! To my eye the beautiful tanks deserve matching caps!!! Or not?

Just me rambling, don't take too much notice!

Have you drilled the cap of the screen wash tank? I can't see a hole...

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Hi Robert
                    You have me concerned now - have I missed something?
                    The expasion tank has a standard pressure relief neck and cap.
                    The vertical tank is a washer bottle, so requires a simple screw neck fitting for topping up with fresh water.

Is your concern about the aesthetics, or function?

I'm intrigued

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Robert in Cumbria View Post
                      Purely aesthetics Mike! To my eye the beautiful tanks deserve matching caps!!! Or not?

Just me rambling, don't take too much notice!

Have you drilled the cap of the screen wash tank? I can't see a hole...
                      Mmmm ........I have been thinking about that - seems such a shame to drill it, but I know it will vacuum, as there is a rubber seal in the cap. Debating whether to drill the cap, the neck, ............or remove the rubber seal?

Comment

Cut a nick in the rim of the neck and file/mill a groove down the threads of the neck at the back. Keep the rubber seal in place to stop the lid locking tight. I would also apply some lube to the threads, stainless has a nasty habit of picking up. I have lost two perfectly good M8 stainless bolts this week because the nuts locked onto the bolt threads and had to be sawn off.

Comment

Hi - Beautiful work. Regarding the washer tank, SVA required a minimum capacity of one litre, IVA won't be any less. I hope yours complies! Cheers - Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dave.kitson View Post
                            Hi - Beautiful work. Regarding the washer tank, SVA required a minimum capacity of one litre, IVA won't be any less. I hope yours complies! Cheers - Dave
                            Dave

Thanks for the information - its a new one on me - I'll go and check!

Edit:
                            - Oh b*gg*r - its only 900mls!

Thanks Dave for pointing that out (I'm assuming you are right, though I can not find it in my IVA blurb)
                            Mike
                            Last edited by Mike; 12-10-12, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I'm afraid it is 1000ml

Comment

Working...
                              X