Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you know how to do

hi everybody

I'm trying to remove the rear wheel hubs on a Marlin (based on Morris Marina), to change the bearings.
    I disassembled the brakes, removed the central nut, tried peeling but I just success to break my extractor.
    So i try now to put the rear hub under pressure with a home made system but nothing happens.
    Do i forgot something ?
    Do i have to warm ?
    what else can I try ?
    is there something else to do or just increase the pressure ?
    thanks for your help…
    Marlin 2012 12 09 (6).JPG
    Last edited by cameronfurnival; 10-12-12, 10:04 AM.

Re: do you know how to do

I'm not exactly sure what you are pulling.

To get the half shaft out of a Marina axle, you release the four nuts and bolts which secure the backplate and the entire halfshaft and backplate assembly should come out of the axle.

I just looked in the Haynes manual and it does say pull the hub off the half shaft but I think you should be able to change the bearing without pulling the hub off the half shaft.

The Haynes manual speaks of a heavy duty puller. A Sykes Picavant 4 ton hydraulic puller would be best. Heat may help but a good solid puller should do it.
    Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 09-12-12, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Screw the nut on to the shaft so the outer nut face is flush with shaft so not to damage the threads and refit his puller/hub then Smack the centre with a big hammer as the shaft is on a taper to the hub.
      Last edited by CABRIOBOB; 09-12-12, 08:17 PM. Reason: .

Comment

The brake backplate holds the bearing in place.

For the full BL Workshop Manual section

On Triumph cars you can use a device like this.

To remove the Hub and Bearing it is best to use a Hydraulic Press like this

As you have a 1.7 your rear axle is probably a late 1978 year type with a 1/4" Keyway, with a larger Hub Oilseal.

There is more information at http://kvisit.com/S1Mb2AQ
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 09-12-12, 08:46 PM.

Comment

thanks for your help

my pieces are rather these ones
          09122012 002.JPG

Comment

Your problem is not unusual. I have used a 20,000 kg press to remove a Rear Hub (8) and a Bearing (10) from an Axle Shaft (1)

I do not like to heat the parts as it can change the internal structure of the metal.

Comment

It will be safe to heat the hub till its red hot and then throw loads of cold water on this will then help it fall off if you have not got a puller or press.

Comment

Hi Phil, look for my posting, half shaft removal, 31 May. Bit brutal, but it worked.
                Gareth.

Comment

This thread:

Phil may struggle with searches...

Comment

If I remember correctly, the hub usually comes out with the half shaft and bearing attached? Isnt the best way to do this to nip the whole thing down to a garage for them to press it off? I dont know - Im ignorant of this particular set up but have done similar work on many other cars. I dont like the idea of heating it up - wouldnt the hub end up damaged? or worse the half shaft weakened? I guess it might be no worse than hitting it repeatedly with a big hammer - whats the heads up on this Bob?

Comment

Spot on Cameron. If you plan on changing the bearings, it's just as well to do both at the same time.

My local garage does it for me for a beer token.

Comment

Perhaps Steve we should explain to our French Friend that a beer token means the price of a drink in a pub usual £10 (Down south)
                        Last edited by cameronfurnival; 10-12-12, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark.westbrookwhite View Post
                          Perhaps Steve we should explain to our French Friend that a bear token means the price of a drink in a pub usual £10 (Down south)
                          I know these parts can be difficult to separate but to use a Bear to do the job, thats excessive and pretty dangerous!.

For Phillipe, a Wine Token would be more appropriate. Beziers is in one of my favourite regions of France! I spent a long time there in my youth, checking that bottles were filled to the correct capacity.

Comment

Cameron,

I do these things in my sleep as its a weekly task for me working on plant,wagons, cars and vans, when work in the bush you always find some means of getting the job done.

Comment

sounds a bit dangerous to me !!! Fire + hot metal = trip to casualty where I'm concerned!

Comment

Working...
                              X