Panhard rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhard rod

Ok this may sound stupid but I have been informed that all Marina kits have a fixing point for a Panhard rod at the rear of the car, where is it?

Help!!!

Adrian

Re: Panhard rod

Not on any standard cars that I have seen.

Comment

There was a kit using a fiesta item available for retro fit, but only became standard on some YKC roadsters.

Comment

Hi Adrian, no roadster ever had a std fixing point for a Panard rod and as Danny says this was a retro fit kit from YKC, when I put the dolly axle in I built a panard rod, I also put tramp bars on. this totally ties the rear end up and stops the axle moving from side to side and when giving it lots on dry tarmac stops the wind up. This is a picture I have when I was doing a the rear disc conversion.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi all

I have had a dig around and found this document from Marlin, I knew I had read it somewhere.

Note it says 'as all chassis are fitted with a mounting bracket'

Marlin Doc.jpg

Any ideas?

Adrian

Comment

Perhaps a slip of the Moorhouse pen...what it should perhaps say is "all chassis are fitted with a handy cross-member to which the cost-option Panhard bracket may be welded.".
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Adrian, Since I found it almost impossible to read the text of your scan, I have taken the liberty to type it out manually so it can be read. I hope nobody minds, I think it's word for word. The date wasn't easy to make out despite enhancing it in Photoshop, I take it to be June 81, if I have mis-read that please tell me and I will correct it.

NEW

Available from June 81 onwards a new version of the Marlin. The most noticeable difference is the addition of real coach built aluminium skinned doors. Underneath is an all new chassis, jig welded in the same painstaking manner but enabling more modern components to be fitted.

Chassis side rails are a massive 100mm X 50mm X 3mm thick box section steel which as before is airtight without a single perforation. All the brackets are 3mm thick and are ready drilled for easy assembly Supporting the roll-over screen frame is a very stiff scuttle frame to avoid the rattles usually associated with sports cars fitted with doors.

Our chassis really do have to be seen to be appreciated, they have been described as Hot Rod quality at Kit Car price.

The car can be built using all the mechanical components from a Marina, with the exception of the lever arm dampers as the front and an optional panhard rod at the rear. Very few extra components have to be obtained at the scrap yard, which also means easy registration and cheap insurance.

The standard choice of engines ranges from the super economical 1275cc A series to the powerful 1.8 TC. There is sufficient room in the engine compartment to allow a variety of engines to be fitted on alternative engine mounts.

Leaf springs and telescopic dampers locate the live rear axle for cost effectiveness and simplicity. This avoids having to pay upwards of £60 for a special rear suspension that makes no noticeable difference. A panhard rod can be fitted as an optional extra as all chassis are fitted with a mounting bracket. Other axles can be fitted provided that the track is between 51" and 53".

Marina front suspension to most people means lever dampers. These are discarded on the Marlin in favour of telescopic dampers for which all the brackets are provided. The function of the top wishbone is taken over by those from a Mini. These are easily available, strong and fit directly to the top ball joint of the Marina. Springing is by the standard splined torsion bars with adjustable end stops to allow fine adjustment of the suspension height.

The body is the same flowing shape that seems to capture universal approval. It is constructed from 16g aluminium with glass fibre wings, boot, radiator cowl and scuttle. With the exception of the wings the body comes fully assembled including the transmission cover. The kit includes all the brackets you will need as well as heater box, grill, screen, lamp bar, plywood floor and bumpers.
              Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 20-12-12, 12:12 PM. Reason: Missed some text marked in blue.

Comment

Probably covered by an exclusion clause somewhere, stating all specifications subject to change without notice.

Comment

Hi Robert

Sorry about that but the original was just as bad.

Thanks for doing this and as you can see it does state there is a mounting bracket, so you can see where it all started.

You may be right with regards the exclusion clause and Lil Red may also be correct.

I was just wondering whether mine was any different as I couldn't find the said mounting bracket.

Ho Hum

Adrian

Comment

yes it does say there is a moutning bracket - we are only assuming it is for the panhard rod : mind you if the early roadsters are anything like my romero there probably wasnt anything welded to the chassis - the amount of brackets and things I have had to make from scratch is amazing!

Comment

Is this the announcement of the Mk2 'Marina Marlin?

Sorry I am a bit dizzy today... Not firing on all cylinders.

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
                      Hi all

I have had a dig around and found this document from Marlin, I knew I had read it somewhere.

Note it says 'as all chassis are fitted with a mounting bracket'

[ATTACH]2977[/ATTACH]

Any ideas?

Adrian
                      Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 20-12-12, 06:51 PM. Reason: Correcting typo error.

Comment

No sign of a bracket on my 1986 Marina based roadster.

Comment

Sorry chaps, you can not believe everything you read.

Comment

There is always the possibility of fitting a Frontline Midget Panhard Kit like http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...hlight=panhard as fitted by http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...?589-mlincsmit

Not sure if he is still a member as he hasnt posted for 10 months.

Comment

Just found on eBay
                              Not the Midget: RTL Rear Traction Control Link shown in previous posts

Frontline Developments Panhard Rod Kit

original

Obviously designed for a Midget, so I have no idea if it could be adapted to fit a Roadster.
                              Possibly worth a punt to find out if you are thinking about fitting a Panhard Rod.

Comment

Working...
                              X