Noisey fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisey fuel pump

I have been reading on another well known kit car forum about noisey sytec fuel pump, I do have this pump and it makes a terrible clicky sound, the only way to mask it is to wrap it in rubber and mount it on rubber bobbins so it does not amplify the sound. But still is there.

Re: Noisey fuel pump

The blessings of deafness!

Comment

Hi Lee
      Whilst investigating a fuel leak today(leaky pipe!) I find I have a Systec pump but I don't think it is noisy
      I do have a noise coming from that area but,and here's the thing Ihave two fuel pumps!!!
      One is the Systec and the other a Facet which I think is the noisy one as the noise is the same as the Facet pump on my last Roadster
      I removed the Systec one during investigating and tried it on the bench and it was pretty quiet!
      Can anyone shed any light as to why I may have two pumps?
      The Facet is bog standard and sits before what I pressume is a Swirl Pot and the Systec one is a high pressure Injection jobby which is what i would have expected to find as the motor is 2ltr Zetec injection,and sits after the Swirl Pot
      Wishing you all a Merry Xmas and happy New Year
      Regards
      Bryan
      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan, Quite common to have a pump to move fuel to the swirl pot, then the high pressure pump from pot to injection system. Another way would be to form a swirl pot in the bottom of the tank and use an injection performance pump from this. Early use of the donor pump in the tank resulted in some fuel starvation on bends etc, so some builders formed a sump/pot in the bottom of the tank to over come the problem. Merry Xmas.

Comment

Hi Danny
          Merry Xmas to you
          That clears that up then,good to know its normal, just a case now of tidying up the plumbing side to cure the leaks.
          Tried to go for a spin yesterday and did'nt get too far before getting a strong wiff of fuel so I had a quick look under the back to see fuel dripping on the exhaust(oops)
          so scuttled home again rather quickly!!
          Many thanks
          Bryan
          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Yes Bryan I have 2 pumps also, one to the swirl pot and the other to the engine. I made a mistake it is the facet pump that ticks away.

Comment

Hi Lee
              After seeing Danny's mail it seems normal to have the two pumps!
              As for the Facet pump, I have mounted mine on rubber mounts which I also did on my Roadster but It was still noisy
              I guess that's why I have heard them referred to as "tickey pumps"!!
              Please let me know if you find a solution?
              Merry Xmas
              Bryan
              Stapley Bryan

Comment

Working...
              X