Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean windscreen tips required

Happy New Year to you all.
    This thread may seem boringly old, but I thought it might prove useful. Taking my Hunter out in a mixture of rain/sunny conditions recently, I was a bit bothered that I could not clean the front screen to a safe degree. As well as making sure the windscreen washer fluid has plenty of non-smear additive, I always carry a bottle of good quality glass-cleaner and rags.

On this journey, it didn't matter what I did, the glass still had loads of distracting speckles on view when driving into the sun. It is almost like they were buried in the glass itself - perhaps they are! Has anybody experienced the same problem, with possibly a solution?

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Clean windscreen tips required

You could try auto glym glass polish first, but its probably very fine chips in the surface from road debris. Its also possible the problem is in the laminate layer that is in between the glass.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Have you been angle grinding near your car? The molten bits of metal coming of the disk burn into the glass leaving bits of metal burnt into yor glass I don't think there is any easy fix for this except for a new screen.

Comment

Laminated glass tends to be softer than toughened so any grit or even abrasive dust like Sahara dust which we sometimes find on our cars will be more likely to cause very fine scratches The laminated glass will be cheap enough, I bought a piece 24" by 60" earlier last year for about £25-£30 from memory, had it been more I would have remembered clearly!

Fitting it could be a bit messy.
        Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 01-01-13, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks Guys
          Initially, I thought that the problem might have been as a result of mostly non-wet weather motoring, with general road dirt being stuck on the glass. However, after lots of elbow grease and non-smear (vinegar-based) window cleaners, I came to think that perhaps the glass was at fault. Bearing in mind that it is now getting on for 15 years old, perhaps this is not surprising.

I take the point about angle-grinding which I experienced years ago, when I did a lot of such work on my Robin Hood metal dashboard prior to fitting a burr walnut replacement. However, I have had no need to do this on my Hunter.

Prior to my Hunter, I had a Berli which came with a hardboard template for the screen. Foolishly I gave this away to the guy who bought the Berli. Don't know whether the 2 cars used the same screens, certainly the same shape though. What would it take to remove the old screen? Anyone done this lately?

Cheers
          Mike_

Comment

Working...
          X