Radiator gone kaput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator gone kaput

I've got a 2.0i DOHC Sierra based YKC Roadster and the radiator has given up the ghost ( after 14 years - does nothing ever last) I seem to remember the radiator was Cortina one but before I go and order a replacement can anyone recommend a more modern better product that will fit without too much hassle

Re: Radiator gone kaput

Hi Keith, when my rad started leaking a couple of years ago (old Vauxhall I think) I took it to a local rad refurb company and threw myself on their mercy. For £55 they re-cored it using the original header and bottom tanks. By doing this you know the rad will fit when you put it back rather than speculating on an alternative unit.
    Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Hi Franklin,

I had come to that conclusion but I wondered if there was a more modern type of core material/design that I could go after. I was just assuming that after 14 years there have been improvements. If anyone can recommend an outfit that can recore at a reasonable price I would appreciate it. As I get older I get more and more surprised at prices of things. I phoned one outfit that I found on the web and ask him to give me a price. Back came £175 ex VAT and delivery. I have no idea if that is high, average or competitive but it strikes me as being high.

Comment

Hi Keith, I looked at radiators when I discovered my Viva Rad was leaking like a sieve, I tried a couple of local firms, one from Kendal and another from Carlisle I think, but wasn't sure about their prices which were about £150+VAT I think.

I contacted a firm in Preston who I dealt with many years ago when I had my own diggers. They were very helpful and suggested I have my existing headers re-cored. He gave me three options:

A 'cheap job' exact or similar core same as already fitted for just over £100 inc VAT.

A 'better job' a better quality and denser radiator with more tubes and denser fins, which would be about £150 inc Vat.

And the 'ultimate job' with wavy fins which he claims aid cooling significantly and he uses regularly on performance car radiators, which would be a tad over £200 inc VAT.

The exact size didn't seem to matter too much.

I used a Nissan Micra rad from the LFBY for £10 inc fan, brackets, header tank and as many hoses as I could carry.

So far the Micra rad seem fine, it's only single row, but it's light and hasn't shown any signs of overheating yet. Mind you so far I have only driven it out of the garage and onto the trailer.

Keep searching on the net, but also take a look in the local yellow pages etc. it's the sort of thing small local firms do, and you might just get a good deal, especially in person, (cash?).
        Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 07-02-13, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Keith

Try these

Auto Radiators 01753 694 223 A Berkshire, Slough, SL2 1AQ
          Viking Radiator Co 02084 276 400 F Middlesex, Harrow, HA1 1QF
          Adrian

Comment

Or for the ultimate bling experience, go for an aluminium radiator. A tad expensive though.

Comment

Thanks gents,

I jacked the car up in the garage this afternoon sufficient to get my ramps under the front wheels (boy do I miss my pit). I will explore tomorrow to see if I can get the rad out without taking the front off - or maybe that's the best route.
              Last edited by keith_h; 08-02-13, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Keith,
                I did have my Cortina radiator re-cored but I asked for two cores to be fitted. I used to overheat [well the radiator] in traffic jams; it was more more expensive but it works a treat.

Roger

Comment

Thanks for the tip-off Adrian, I phoned Viking and took my radiator (Cortina) to be re-cored last weekend (What did the A & F mean). I picked it up last night and for £100 it now has a 40mm core instead of 30mm and a lot narrower tubes/vanes. I spent this afternoon putting it back in the car (in the snow) and now all that is left is to re-fit the nose cone. You were quite right Franklin, it was a doddle to re-fit because all the bolt holes were already there and the flange already cut out for the steering rod. Robert, the sentiment at the end of your last paragraph was never so true!

Comment

Well done Keith, glad you got a really good deal. You should be well set for reliable motoring again, nothing more miserable than radiator spring leaks when you are on a trip.

Comment

No hassle Keith, will see you at the SHEB later on today.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                      X