Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter Owner Requires Help

Can anyone help??

As a new member of the Marlin Club I need advice on my Marlin Hunter which I recently purchased. It was new in 2000 with a Rover 3.8 engine. So far it has only done 3,500 miles. My experience today was that the car ran fine in the morning but in the afternoon it became a ‘bucking bronco’ when I tried to accelerate. As if someone had momentarily switched off then on the fuel supply several times in succession. It then became more frequent until nearly continuous. I recently had a problem of it not starting which my garage put down to the fitting just before the alternator. This part (ignition module) was replaced and it appeared ‘back to normal’. Could this have been faulty?

Your opinion would be most valued.

Many thanks,

Anthony Pound

P.S Please can you tell me the difference between a Roadster, Sportster and Cabrio.

Re: Hunter Owner Requires Help

Sorry, can't help with the techy bit, but ref your PS :

On this website, "Club History" has a short history of Marlin Cars, and "Cars" has pictures of all the different types of Marlin cars...that should get you started, and telephone me if you need anything more specific

Rgds DC

Comment

Re: Hunter Owner Requires Help

Hi Anthony.
      The Rover V8 Ignition Amp Modules are notorious for failing. The early ones had the module on the side of the distributor where it used to get very hot and that didn’t help its lifespan.

That said about a year ago I kept experiencing sudden misfires under heavy acceleration on my 3.9i V8. I fitted one of the Ign Amp Modules below as a replacement and (touch wood) I haven’t had any further problems.

Rimmer Bros do a kit (Part No STC1856 ) which includes a plug and extension lead so the amp module can be mounted down on the chassis, thereby keeping it cooler. The genuine LR part is currently £391 so I bought the pattern part No STC1856P which is currently “only” £146. However the cost was well worth it as sudden lack of power as you pull out to overtake is not good. Please note these part numbers relate to the 3.9 fuel injected engine. Check carefully with Rimmer Bros for the correct one for your engine.
      See link below. Scroll down to near the bottom of the page.

Parts & Spares for Triumph, Land Rover, Range Rover, Rover, MG, & Jaguar - Fast delivery worldwide - PayPal & PayPal Credit available - British car experts - 01522 568000 - 1-855-746-2767

The fact that you had that problem in the afternoon, when it was hot, seems pretty conclusive to me that it was the cause of your problem.

Also note that it is essential to use the heat sink paste between the module and the mounting plate.

Peter.

Comment

Working...
      X