Cabrio Inner Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio Inner Wing

I am trying to produce new aluminium inner wings for my cabrio build. So far my efforts have been less than satisfactory. Is anyone prepared to reveal a method that will achieve a good fit?

Re: Cabrio Inner Wing

Originally posted by DAS_Cabrio View Post
    I am trying to produce new aluminium inner wings for my cabrio build. So far my efforts have been less than satisfactory. Is anyone prepared to reveal a method that will achieve a good fit?
    DAS

Do you have the old ones for a pattern?
    Is it long wheel base, or short?

Mike

Comment

It is a short wheelbase-does that make any difference to the front end?
      I have the old parts but they are in very poor condition and do not fit very well anyway!
      I naively thought- Marlin do it so it can't be too difficult! Many hours later I am still struggling.
      David

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        DAS

Do you have the old ones for a pattern?
        Is it long wheel base, or short?

Mike
        David

My experience is that they have to be forced to fit (by riveting or nut and bolt to the running board) because they are made from a flat sheet, but are fitted in a compound curve (curved in two planes). When you offer the inner wing to the running board they do not look like they will fit well, but if you have the fixings close together (approximately 50mm centres) they do pull it all in together.
        Marlin then punched 20mm holes for the chassis fixings in the lower edge to allow plenty of tolerance.

(I asked about LWB, or SWB, as I have a LWB which I have not yet completed, and could have taken some paper templates for you, but if you have your old ally inner wings will have no need of them.

If you make a template from your old one, then folder the upper edge in sections by using a wide jaw vice, and do not cut any nicks in this top edge, you should find that this folding process introduces a curve in the chassis edge. Then fold the chassis edge, and cut a nick where the angle is between the chassis rails and the GRP, you should end up with a panel which is a close fit. Then Rivet, or bolt all the upper holes to the running board. Then off er the whole wing to the chassis. Use large flat penny washers to attach to the chassis and watch it pull itself together.

Mike

Comment

Yesterdays efforts were rewarded with an inner wing that is almost the correct shape but probably needs annealing! Only one more to go now.
          David

Comment

Working...
          X