Tyre Foam - is it any good for a permanent fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Foam - is it any good for a permanent fix

I've got a garden truck/hand cart which for some strange reason has inflatable tyres and surprise surprise I get thorns in them and end up with punctures. I don't see why it has to have pneumatic tyres and I was wondering about filling the tyres with expanding builders foam. I thought I would have a look via Google to see what products were about and had a laugh at some poor chaps expense. Quote - I have just spent the last hour trying to empty a can of tyre foam into the tyre and it says it "inflates the tyre and seals the puncture" - does it f**k!

Anyway, has anyone any experience of using the stuff and is there one that is intended to replace the inner tube rather than just get you to a tyre fitters

Re: Tyre Foam - is it any good for a permanent fix

my brand new audi tt has no spare wheel, just a mini compressor and a tub of gloop to put in through the valve, apparently you put the gloop in, spin the wheel around a few times and then inflate. Fortunatley I havent had to test it yet.

Comment

Keith have alook at this http://www.biolifeimpexpvtltd.in/tyrepuncturegel.html
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
        my brand new audi tt has no spare wheel, just a mini compressor and a tub of gloop to put in through the valve, apparently you put the gloop in, spin the wheel around a few times and then inflate. Fortunatley I havent had to test it yet.

Cameron/Keith

This gloop really does work, and on garden barrows! My father (a farmer) gave me some to put in a garden trailer which was always getting thorn punctures. Worked a treat.

Its even better than that. You put the gloop in before you get a puncture, and you never notice another one again.
        Its not cheap, but then small wheeled tubes aren't either (they cost more than a car size tube!)

I'll find out what the gloop is and where to get it tomorrow.

Its good stuff!

Mike

Comment

The tyre sealant I have used is made by OKO.

I can certainly recommend it.

As Cameron said in his thread, squeeze about half mug full into the tube via the valve stem, replace the valve, rotate the wheel, and then inflate. You will see some sealant escape through the puncture hole, but it soon congeals and the tube remains inflated. You may need to check the pressure and top up, but its that simple.

The really great thing is you will not even know the next time you get a puncture, because it will self seal.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
            My old/used Mondeo has exactly the same system in the boot ;-) Haven't tried it, but then I haven't had a puncture in twenty years which I guess is why they use this system.

Comment

Working...
            X