Marina Steering Rack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Steering Rack.

I've been a bit reluctant to post this but since I've had the front end of my car stripped down it's looked to me that the Marina steering rack is mounted between one and two inches too high which would account for the amount of bump steer experienced.

Presumably it's not situated where it is by chance ( it's also touch forward as well ), Was the front suspension designed as such or the parts just moved over from a Marina shell and measured from that.

I'm planning on drilling some lower bolt holes in the rack mounting and trying it there. Will also compare the change in track rod lengths when I get time.

I'd be interested in any one else's thoughts even if it's to confirm that i'm a loony as one would presume the suspension geometry had been thought out by people better qualified than me.

Re: Marina Steering Rack.

Hiya

If you could send a picture of your setup that would help.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian, Thanks for coming back. Some photos will have to wait as I have everything stripped out now and no engine fitted.

I'll try to jury rig things on blocks of wood soon to represent normal ride height and suspension movement, should have taken photos early on when it was more obvious.

One thought was were the rack mounting bolt holes pre-drilled in the factory or left up to the builder to work out ?

Comment

Hiya Attached is the instructions to fit Steering, hope it helps.

AdrianSteering.jpg

Comment

Hi Adrian, Many thanks for that page in the build manual that seems pretty clear that the position was fixed. I still can't see how that is right at the moment. Unfortunately I have hit a busy period and haven't managed to touch the car for over a week now but would like to block the chassis and suspension at various heights and measure the change in track at various points. Brian.

Comment

Hiya Brian

Does your instalation look like this, if so then it is right.

Adrian

001.jpg

Comment

Hi Adrian, Many thanks for the photo. Mine looks very much the same and the height of the centre of the top hole from the top face of the chassis rail. I do like the square tube cross member at the base of the mounting, I had thought the original was a touch flimsy for what it needs to do and may do something similar. I based my query about the height of the rack on the fact that my rack was consistently an inch or two above the steering arms where you would expect them at normal load to be the same height, a position that minimises the change in track with up and down movement of the suspension. My apologies for the strange spacing but I seem to have some glitch with my keyboard mailing on this site, can't really understand why ! Brian.

Comment

No worries, lets hope you can get it sorted. If you want a photo from the front I can do that also.

Good luck.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian, Somehow in my struggle with the keyboard yesterday I lost the dimension I wanted to post. This is 167mm from the centre of the top hole to the top face of the chassis tube. Brian.

Comment

Hi Brian

I was just thinking this afternoon (it always hurts) but I remember that there are two different types of steering rack, Mk1 and Mk2.

The Mk1 is 40.5" up to 1975 and the Mk2 is 40.25" 1975 onwards.

Plus there are other differences between the Mk1 and Mk2 in the top swivel joints which connect to the mini top wishbones.

What year is your car/donor?

Its a long shot but it may well be the answer.

This may help?

LastScan.jpg

Plus the scan of the following page of the instructions to go with the previous instructions below.

LastScan.jpg

Adrian
                    Last edited by listerjp2; 14-04-13, 10:39 PM.

Comment

My gut feeling is that some of the alleged differences between the measured lengths are fundamentally erroneous. A 0.25" error is in the order of 0.5%. Easily accounted for as it is not easy to measure something where a direct, straight, line is difficult to get with both ends capable of swivelling. Either way, the alleged difference of 0.125" either end will be insignificant to the swivels when fitted at either end. The most significant difference visually is the change in mounting arrangements where on a Mk1 rack, there is a locating flange on the N/S mount, that is missing on a Mk2, probably done for 'value engineering' issues. This does not effect the interchangeability between the Mk1 and Mk2 racks. There is a suggestion that though the rack and pinion gears are the same on a Mk1 and Mk2 rack, the lock to lock is slightly less on a Mk2, this 'may' be to reduce the angle of the front wheels on full lock, when radial tires, with a wider profile, were fitted.

Comment

Hi Steve

I beg to differ as when I tried fittng the mk1 steering rack the centres for the U bolts was different and I had to then go for the mk2.

You may be right about the lengths but as I said it was a long shot.

Adrian

Comment

There is a great deal of lore built up around the steering racks. I have not had the pleasure of having two racks side by side to be able to make a direct comparison. Even the 1977 parts books that I have, make no mention of different racks, or mounts. So it I have no reference documentation to support or deny any suggestion of differences even in models up to the last of the Ital's. This is a debate that will continue for some time until accurate dimensions and part numbers can finally be tracked down. If you still have your Mk1 Rack, perhaps we can compare its mountings with my spare Mk2, or do you have Parts books that give some further clues.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                            There is a great deal of lore built up around the steering racks. I have not had the pleasure of having two racks side by side to be able to make a direct comparison. Even the 1977 parts books that I have, make no mention of different racks, or mounts. So it I have no reference documentation to support or deny any suggestion of differences even in models up to the last of the Ital's. This is a debate that will continue for some time until accurate dimensions and part numbers can finally be tracked down. If you still have your Mk1 Rack, perhaps we can compare its mountings with my spare Mk2, or do you have Parts books that give some further clues.
                            Hi Steve

Unfortunately no to both so the debate will have to rattle on until someone has both.

My parts manual only covers 1975 onwards so no luck either.

Adrian

Comment

Steve

Below is an extract from Earlparts partlist, I knew I would find it somewhere.

Mounting, rack mounting, pinion end, MK 1 ST 00 POA

STEERING Mounting, rack mounting, support end, MK 1 ST 00 POA

STEERING Mounting, rack mounting, pinion end, MK 2, 3 ST 00 POA

STEERING Mounting, rack mounting, support end, MK 2, 3 ST 00 POA

STEERING Lock, steering lock & key ST 00 £74.73

STEERING Rack, rcond, exch rack, R-H drive, Marina MK1 to 1975 (length 40.5”) ST 0132 £86.55

STEERING Rack, rcond, exch rack, R-H drive, Marina MK2 & Ita, 1975 on (length 40.25”) ST 0133 £87.85

Comment

Working...
                              X