Luggage Rack in SS for Berly boot lid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage Rack in SS for Berly boot lid

Thinking of a luggage rack for the boot, anyone got details, supplier, one spare etc?

Re: Luggage Rack in SS for Berly boot lid

Hi Tony
    I had one made for my Cabrio to my spec last year down in Somerset (not sure what area you are in when in uk)
    What I did was to design the shape I wanted using 12mm copper plumbing pipe,bends and Tee's etc and took it to my local stainless exhaust maker to copy in stainless tube
    Not cheap but what is these days
    The pattern I have passed on to another Cabrio owner who was going to adapt it to his own design
    If he is finished with it he may be willing to pass it on if req'd
    I'll try to find his details you think it may be of use?
    Regards
    Bryan
    Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Tony
      Attached pics my rack/pattern
      Mike who had the pattern posts on here so may well see this!
      Attached Files
      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi all, I have gone a slightly different way. I borrowed a rack from an MG midget and soon the snag appeared on my Berlinetta. With anything on the rack I couldn't see rearwards from my inside mirror as it was blocked by any luggage on the rack. I do have a 205 spare wheel so the view is already a little restricted. What I'm testing for stoneleigh is a half rack. i have made up a tubular frame that is fixed to the boot hinge bolts and rises up to the rear of the spare wheel with a top bar a bout 9" higher than the tyre. I have bungeed camping bits directly to the spare wheel and to these bars. I can keep the load lower than if a rack was fitted and can see over it through the mirror. I have alloy spoked wheels so the spare will allow bungees to be fixed through the wheel. There is not a great deal of weight on the system as I have a fairly lightweight tent and camp bed which will travel on this rack.The caboodle is held on by a ratchet strap and wing nuts. This means that when I have set up camp it only takes a minute to remove tha half rack completely from the car. I'm testing it out in May as I travel up from Newquay to Stoneleigh. If it all falls off en-route then Buddy and I will be looking for a bunk when we get there!
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Tony, I wonder if this link may help you
          Our extensive permanent range of car boot luggage racks (trunk luggage carriers) includes the Classic, the Sports, the Traditional, the Quadro, the Vogue, the reversible Monte Carlo, the Contemporary, the Quick Release, the Amalfi, the Compact and the unique Folding low level rack. Permanent

Best of luck. Ken

Comment

Hi Tony,
            Marlin made a rack for the Cabrio, YKC made one for the roadster, there was not one for the Berlinetta. So an off the shelf job modified to suit, or a bespoke job fabricated.
            There is not much boot lid area available for fitting because of the size of the spare, so most are mounted , and fixed on the spare wheel. The spare also sits high so fairly long legs are reqd. Europa sell extensions for the racks they sell. However Dane makes a good point about rear vision. With that in mind, and also that you have a tow bracket, perhaps the tow ball mounted luggage racks may be worth consideration. I know several Radster members are using these with great sucess.
            Danny.

Comment

Something like this maybe

ebay item number 290882483536

Adrian

Comment

Thanks guys, now need to scratch things and sort out the best option!

Comment

I have been in contact with http://www.classicbootracks.co.uk ref a rack for a Cabrio vs the sizes on there website, that say they can make any size or design you want for £169 plus £10 postage, but it will be take up to 6 weeks to get it as they are very busy. They recomend the Vintage model for kitcars with a spare wheel fitted as it will hindge up to allow the removal of the wheel.

Comment

sounds good to me thanks!

Comment

I was in contact with classic bootracks prior to having mine fabricated and at that time they had nothing suitable but the Vintage was in the pipeline I asked them to consider a hinge arrangement as otherwise I was going to have to adapt it for my application,they put this to their design team as they thought it was a good idea but then shelved all development at that time due to the economic downturn,and could give me no clue as to when they may start again.
                      So just maybe I had a small hand in the Vintage!!
                      I have to say their stuff does look well made and £169 does seem reasonable as I paid more than that to have mine fabricated
                      Cheers
                      Bryan
                      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi all.
                        I made a prototype luggage bar for Moll out of 22mm pipe. It is attached to two of the boot hinge bolts with butterfly nuts. It is also attached to the spare wheel with a ratchet strap. Once fitted it is very sturdy. I have K&N Diamond rims so it is easy to attach flat bunjee straps in to the spokes of the wheel. The pics show how I loaded my tent, bed and table on to the spare wheel. I drove from Newquay to Stoneleigh and back at, of course, no more than 70mph and the load was as sturdy after the journies as it was when I loaded up. Nothing moved. The idea was to allow me good rear view vision from the interior rear view mirror which a full boot rack will not allow. Once at the campsite at stoneleigh, the luggage bar only takes seconds to remove from Moll so that she can revert to her good looks!
                        It looks like I have probably resized the pictures rather too much from their multi megabyte size but I hope you can see the general idea.
                        Cheers for now, Dane.
                        Attached Files
                        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

If you are going on any of the Marlin outings this year have a look at the SS rack on the back of my Berli. It fits onto the spare wheel and is locked in place by the Wheel fixing bolt. It is extremely sturdy as it carries my wifes mobility scooter with us everywhere. It's been over some pretty rough terrain and we have never had a problem with it. I'll try and upload a couple of photos with this post.
                          regards

Richard
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X