spring rates for coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring rates for coilovers

what spring rates did marlin supply for the front and rear coilovers on early sportsters (sierra based), rover v8 or engine with similar weight (approx 200kg with standard ancilleries)?

Re: spring rates for coilovers

I can't tell you what the spring rate is but I can put you on the right road. The AVO complete damper unit is part number PF974. I know this as I have just bought two of them from AVO HQ in Northampton. My Sportster with a Ford V6 (all iron) has a front weight of 400 kilos shared over the two wheels so 200 each. If you take a picture of the set up and measure the angle of the installed coil overs on the car you will then all the info you need to give AVO to supply replacement or improved multi rate springs. (they need angle of fitment/weight per unit and damper part no). I'd appreciate your posting the outcome when you have it for the record. AVO have three of the PF 974's still in stock if itsof interest.

Regards

Pete C

Comment

Forgot to mention that the rear springs on Sierra based units were the original Sierra springs. These are comfortable for the road, but you might prefer something firmer if any competitive events are considered and/or you are carrying a passenger and luggage/tools etc. My own car has Ford Sierra XR4i rear springs which give a firmer ride. Also need a rear roll bar if competing.

Comment

I have a new pair of front cabrio shocks and springs that I maybe tempted to part company with if anyone is interested ?

Comment

GAZ Coilovers all around (front and rear), during (factory-) built it was first equipped with AVO´s, than Marlin changed it to GAZ later.

front ford (alloy) hubs 5x112, front upright looks like cortina (definately not sierra), but could be also from an old granada (cause of the 5-stud hbs), could be also granada hubs on a cortina upright. 4piston AP calipers (casted steel) at front with vented discs.

rear has marlin bespoke tubular trailingarms, fully adjustable, with 5-stud Ford hubs, sierra(scorpio?) diff and drivesafts, solid discs with single-piston sierra caliper.

antirollbar (swaybar) at front and rear

but my coil problems seems solved now: first i thought the car has the wrong coils fitted, because it was bouncing too mch...but the shocks had been set far too soft.
          Last edited by Sportster-Green; 01-06-13, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Not that familiar with the Cabrio set up but might be interested in the springs if they are the same as Sportster. (are they AVO and if so whatr part number? Should be stamped on thye base.

Pete C (tel no 01430 424876)

Comment

Cabrio with Sierra steering and Marlin suspension.

I have been experimenting this last week with 2 sets of AVO shocks. one set has BF974 stamped on the base and has 9" springs and the spring adjusting nut is at the bottom of the shockers. The other set were AVO I974 which has 8" springs and the spring adjusting nut thread starts is approx 1" further up the cylinder.

Both set were the same length fully opened 340mm fixing hole to hole centres.

The BF974 piston rod has 1" more travel only due to the cylinder was 1" less in length compared to the I974 shocks.

I found when the BF974 shocks fitted and the ride height set to 270mm under the front cross member and 700mm from the ground and centre of the front wheel to the bottom of the wing there was about 1" piston rod showing above the cylinder but the 9" coil springs look close to coil bound, about 5mm between the coils.

When the I974 shocks fitted with the 8" springs and set the ride height to 270mm and 700mm wing height the piston rod was almost closed, so not really any shock compression.
              I adjusted the spring tension to give approx 1" piston rod movement but then found I had 740mm front wing height and loads of positive wheel camber, but the springs were not coil bound. (12mm between the coils)

It would be interesting to see what other Cabrio's have fitted in relation to front shocks, make/type spring lengths and spring rating and ride height.

Comment

what spring-rates are those?

Comment

Cabrio coil overs Ebay 200932131852

Comment

I suspect Lee LOL

Comment

but not much info given in the ebay-advert. no length, spring rate , avo number etc.....
                      Last edited by Sportster-Green; 09-06-13, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X