Front suspension TLC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front suspension TLC.

The Marlin had two hours of TLC this afternoon, I popped into the garage shortly after work and had a crack at curing the odd knocking noises emanating from various areas of the suspension, although the car had not failed its last MOT there were a few advisories, so one top ball joint on the passenger side was replaced, it could have been adjusted but I had a few nice new joints to hand, it's opposite number was also replaced, however this one was quite rough and looked as if it had been starved of grease for years at some point, as it was badly pitted, once done I refitted the wheels and gave the front end a good jiggle about only to discover another little knock, this turned out to be a track rod end on drivers side, so I replaced this too, once again, wheels refitted and another jiggle session, and blimey, there was more movement to be detected, the wheel bearing was loose ( Drivers side again ) I had adjusted these about three month ago so I was a little surprised to find this one had worked loose, so I tightened it up and wheels back on for yet another jiggle, all the clonks on the front end have now gone --- however, I have now discovered the steering rack has a fault on the passenger side, the rod end bush seems to be damaged, although it has no play in it when the steering is used there is an up / down movement between rod and bush ( If you hold the rod then move it up and down) I had the same problem with a Saab many years back and the nylon bush was crushed, so i am now looking for a Marina Mk 1 steering rack. I also checked the dampers and although old they seem to be fine. As for the advisory on the Trunnions, I could not fault them no matter how hard I tried so they are being left as they are ( I now have two new spares)
    I am moving closer to sorting out the weaving problem, it's just a matter of time !

Re: Front suspension TLC.

Harry, Try putting <Steering rack bush> into the forum search and you will find a couple of threads that may help.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thank's for the tip, I tried but I could not find any info on these racks, It may just be me going wrong ??

Comment

All of the issues you raise have been covered in depth on http://www.fastmarinamagazine.com/ there are several guide there as well as a potential source for the steering rack internal bush that tends to fail.
        Worth a read through as they are effectively the Morris Marina Owners Club.

Comment

Links to interesting web pages

Comment

Thanks Steve, I will go through it, after having another look at the job I can now see the front end of the body has got to be removed to get the rack away, so I might as well renew the radiator too, that said it looks like a job for those long winter weeks ??

Comment

Working...
            X