Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum 'Wobble' Clearance?

One for the build buff's!

I am doing a re-install of the Rover V8 engine in my Berlinetta. The main reason being the engine didn't have sufficient clearance from it's surroundings and the poor standard of the installation.

There are several 'pinch points' around the engine, the water pump shaft to radiator, the steering shaft to o/s exhaust manifold and the o/s rocker cover to pedal box and servo being the critical ones.

I have moved the engine back, up, and to the n/s to solve all the fundamental issues but I would be interested to hear what clearance others consider to be optimal for certain places.

I will have about 45mm (1 ½") from the nose of the water pump to the radiator.

About 12mm (½") between the n/s bonnet side and the exhaust manifold.

About 65mm (2 ½") at the back of the engine to the bulkhead.

The bottom of the sump is about 12mm (½") ABOVE the bottom of the chassis rails.

The top of the SU dashpots are about 12mm (½") clear of the underside of the bonnet.

The steering shaft has about 50mm (2") minimum clearance all round with just two U/J's.

To me the real tight one is the o/s rocker cover to pedal box. I have between 20 and 25mm clearance, which I feel is marginal, I can achieve more by moving the pedal box to the o/s slightly but that brings the steering wheel closer to the door and I feel it's too close already.

What would be the minimum clearance I could expect to run without the two coming together under harsh usage please?

Pic of servo and pedal box clearance to o/s rocker cover.

Screen Shot 2013-07-22 at 11.43.12.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-07-22 at 11.43.56.jpg

Re: Minimum 'Wobble' Clearance?

I know of two V8 Berlys with the rad forward into the surround, steering columns through tubular manifolds, and also brought out and around . How much sideways movement has an engine got on its mounts? 20 to 40 mm? dependant on condition of the mount.

Comment

If the pinch point is the servo and not the pedal box as photo suggests, then perhaps a smaller servo or a remote servo.

Comment

When I built my V8 Sierra Berli there were several points where the clearance was down to 15mm and there were no problems in use. Just make sure the engine mounts are in good condition.

Comment

Thanks for the input Danny, The mounts are not new and they are not the Land Rover type with the extra layer of steel embedded which I suspect will make them stiffer, so there will be some flex.

I will see if I can move the pedal box slightly further away form the engine, I should be able to get 30mm at least. If it becomes an issue I will get some stiffer Land Rover Mounts.

The standard servo is almost exactly aligned with the side of the pedal box at the n/s so there is no real benefit in fitting the smaller servo, apart from it being slightly lighter! I do have a very nice 6 inch servo with a BMW Master cylinder, that might be an alternative but I am reluctant to loose the 10 square inches of diaphragm area the 7 inch servo provides compared with the 6 inch.

The 6 inch servo has about 28 sq inches, the 7 inch servo has about 38 sq inches.

Comment

Thanks Scott, that is reassuring. So with 20-25mm I should be OK. I think the variable will be in the mounts. I have the option to upgrade them of course.

Comment

when i built a trials and safari landrover , we changedthe water pump to one with a shorter nose , i cant remember which is which but range rover , p5 and sd1 are all differednt , this may help for rad clearance . we also used some engibe mounts that were opmpletely captive rather tan a boned rubber bush , standard bushed had a tendency to break unser severe use (abuse!!).They aslo did control the engine movement quite tightly. I will try to find out who we got them from if it is of interest.

Comment

Working...
              X