Marina drive-train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina drive-train

After much searching, on the web and local suppliers, and help from members, particularly Steve Green, I think I have finally sorted my drive-train and made it quiet!!

• As I posted previously the gearbox was repaired giving me a reverse gear and making it 'tight'.
    • The diff has also been repaired. Any noise emanating from it was due to shredded shims and misalignment. As I suspected from initial inspection there was negligible wear, at worst, on either the crown or pinion.
    • Put in EP85w-140 oil, more akin to the van axle than EP90
    • But the 'grating' was still present particularly between acceleration and over-run.
    • On further inspection I found that there was lateral movement in the front universal joint of the prop shaft. This I concluded was due to smaller width than usual on two of the cir-clips holding the caps in place! (There were two distinct pairs of clips rather than a set of four.)
    • A new universal joint later and all seems well = a different driving experience!

The gearbox replacement part were sourced from T D Fitchett (Telford) who have Marina parts on their 'back shelves'; also a couple of weeks back they had just received a 'new' supply of Marina diff components.

My repairs were carried out by Steve Ellis - a family run business in Westbury: Ellis & Dunn Gearbox Solutions. I can thoroughly recommend him if members are in this area.

And now to continue the tinkering ...... between these balmy evening drives .....
    Last edited by Skittler; 23-07-13, 09:55 PM.
    Brian

Learning more about:
    June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
    1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
    And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Working...
X