Oulton Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oulton Park

Hi, just found a lovely film on Piston Heads, on the opening of Oulton Park 60 years ago this month. Love the commentary and music!

Evocative film from Oulton Park's opening, 60 years ago this month

The track hasn't changed that much. A few years ago, as a telephone engineer. I was responsible for the upkeep of the marshals huts phones around the course, so they could keep in touch with race control and often drove my van, a Marina van, around the track. My lap times weren't that bad either! Those were the days...

Later on, in the seventies, during the Easter Transatlanic bike races, we used to camp there and get our bikes onto the track and race around at night in the dark. Such good fun.

Gareth.

Re: Oulton Park

Great film to watch (nostalgia comes with age even if it was a few years before I was born)

Mind you I wonder how long it was before a serious accident? Trees and buildings all around the track and embankments to launch anybody who failed to take a corner. The only hay bails were around the steel bridge (bridges hurt - tress dont!!) - no wonder it was a dangerous sport in the day.

Comment

Hi I was at the 1st meeting, I got taken there by my folks. My dad liked cars as much as I do.
      We took so long to get out we stayed on at the next meeting and had a picnic til everyone had gone.
      In those days we had to go through Warrington. But when the Runcorn Bridge opened we moved to Cheshire. and lived in a village not far from the Park. We could hear them Practicing!!

Comment

As a teenager (too many years ago), I drove around that circuit in my dads Post Office Morris Oxford Estate (it was in the late 60's I think) - he was manager of Midlands TVOB Unit until his retirement in the late 80's.

Neil.

Comment

Working...
        X