Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures please

Hi Everyone

I am trying to get an idea of cabin trims and dials.

I have a set of Marina dials that have the rev counter in them that are in very good nick and just wondered if anyone else has any pictures of their dash with these in to give me an idea as to how they will look.

I also have the classic push pull switches for the lights etc, again some pictures if any one has used these would be good.

Lastly I have a set of brand new original Marlin seats and again would like to see what they would look like in a short wheelbase car to give me an idea of the types of carpet, trim etc.

Hopefully someone could help.

Many thanks

Adrian

Re: Pictures please

Adrian PM me or better still use my email (as in Pitstop) about this
    Rgds DC

Comment

Hi Adrian,

There are a number of posts on the forum which chat about dashboard layout from which I gleaned information when I remodelled mine.
      I am very much into the joy of learning (and fabricating) as I go rather than copying exactly what others have done, thus my dashboard, using standard Marina instruments, will be a one-off.
      dash Aug13.jpg

I wanted to see all of the dials (particularly the rev counter) and thus I have off-set the instrument panel to the left of centre by about half a dial, this the steering wheel is no longer an obstruction. This gave me room to put a combined lights and horn 'switch' within easy reach of my left hand; although I do very little night driving.

The choke runs in a straight line from the engine bay and is thus midway between the left and centre dials thus making the ignition switch's symmetrical position between the middle and right dial.

The indicator lever is again within easy reach.

I want to make a 'bare-minimum' roadster and thus the only other required switches are wiper and washer. These run in line with the ignition again close to my left had. The third switch in that line is the electric fan manual switch and this has a green warning light beside it.

Visible through the steering wheel is the main beam and indicator warning lights.

You will notice there are two switches under the dash. An immobiliser switch (rather than a cut-off switch) for added security whilst parked and a heater switch. The wiring for these runs under the prop-shaft tunnel.

Because I have made the bottom of the dash straight edged I have also bent the gear stick appropriately.

I have to say this is a far cry from the dash layout I inherited which had, for example, an indicator switch (not stalk) tucked up under the rightmost corner of the dash and the washer button protruding from the centre of the skuttle!

Hope this helps
      Brian

Learning more about:
      June '73 Marina based Mk2 Roadster
      1800 TC; 4 speed gearbox; 4.55:1 differential with 4.5pcd (the rare one!)

Another interest -www.somersetschoolsathletics.org.uk
      And another - 'Tractor Doctors' skittle team

Comment

Mmmmmm interesting.

I was thinking of an offset but thought it wouldn't look right but now I have seen yours it might be something on the list.

Thanks for taking the time to do a picture and explain your reasoning behind it.

Adrian

Comment

DC will do.

Comment

Marlin Dash.jpg

See above my dash. I don't think the instruments are Marina as I have a Triumph based car (don't think they are all Triumph either!). What I really like is the 4 small dials that you can see in between the steering wheel whilst driving. I also cut a hole and made a glove box on my dash (as you can see it literally has gloves in it).

Dan Cook

Comment

Hi Dan

They look like a mixture of Triumph and Smiths.

If you look at the picture below you will see what I have.

Thanks for geeting back and by the wayI do like the big dials.

Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian

I have a couple of photos, taken 15-20 years ago of two very nice dashes using Marina dials - trouble is my scanner will not talk to my computer !
                I'll crack it, or literally crack it! - my dad who is 80 and uses a computer every day, has a brilliant cartoon of Donald Duck in front of a computer looking totally exasperated holding a giant sledge hammer about to bring it crashing down on the computer - I often feel like that!

Comment

Cheers mike but don't get hurt while doing it, I'm still enjoying your build diary and don't want to scupper your excellent achievements.

Adrian

Comment

Here's some more to think on.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the tiff is over (for the time being!).................scanner and computer are talking again this morning!
                      It's amazing how a "switch-off, switch-on" solves a lot of these computer communication issues?!

Anyway, these photos were taken 15 -20 years ago, when new Roadster builds were at their peak, and there were loads of them at the shows - quality is not brilliant from a scanned photo, but I hope they help inspire someone!

An early shot of Peter Hare's meticulous Roadster (no air vents under bonnet at this stage)

Roadster - Marina Dash 066.jpg

Another example of Marina dials being used in a high quality dash

Roadster - Marina Dash 067.jpg

These were presumably the standard Marlin seat shells, but then trimmed very nicely.

Roadster - Marina Seats.jpg

Roadster - Marina Seats 001.jpg

I'll post a few more for more inspiration.........

Mike
                      Last edited by Mike; 29-08-13, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Since the scanner is playing nicely...............a few more Dash ideas.............

Roadster - Dash.jpg

Roadster - Dash 004.jpg

Roadster - Dash 002.jpg

Roadster - Dash 001.jpg

Roadster - Dash 003.jpg

...............and if you want to use Triumph Vitesse instruments, this layout worked - note the shaded area highlighted on the gash dash before I started to determine where the gauges could be seen.

Roadster - Triumph Vitesses Instruments.jpg

It did have the 2500 engine too........
                        Last edited by Mike; 29-08-13, 10:22 AM.

Comment

.............a couple more other ideas..............

Not just the hard top, but the rear bumper in-fill, and the Cabrio wrap around stainless bumpers.

Roadster - Hard Top.jpg

Stainless tube cut and re-welded when fitted over standard bumper tube

Roadster - Stainless Bumper.jpg

Neat number plate mount arrangement

Roadster - Rear Number Plate Mount.jpg

Lots of nice ideas on Peter Hare's Roadster
                          Folding hood - he developed it: now very common on all Marlins
                          Perspex side screens which zipped into the hood - he pioneered the idea
                          Double fire wall, with fresh air tubes from the nose cone to the heater fan to prevent engine heat entering the cockpit
                          ......and of course the wire wheels with the wooden steering wheel, gave this Roadster a real period feel.

Roadster - Peter Hare's Roadster.jpg

It was a beautiful car - I know he sold it, is it still in the MOC?
                          Last edited by Mike; 29-08-13, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Wow these dashes are really good and the Marina dials look good to. Amazing what a piece of decent wood can do.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Looks like the tiff is over (for the time being!).................scanner and computer are talking again this morning!
                            It's amazing how a "switch-off, switch-on" solves a lot of these computer communication issues?!

Anyway, these photos were taken 15 -20 years ago, when new Roadster builds were at their peak, and there were loads of them at the shows - quality is not brilliant from a scanned photo, but I hope they help inspire someone!

An early shot of Peter Hare's meticulous Roadster (no air vents under bonnet at this stage)

[ATTACH]4078[/ATTACH]

Another example of Marina dials being used in a high quality dash

[ATTACH]4079[/ATTACH]

These were presumably the standard Marlin seat shells, but then trimmed very nicely.

[ATTACH]4077[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4080[/ATTACH]

I'll post a few more for more inspiration.........

Mike

Comment

I think I will stay with the Marina instruments and the wiring will be easier, but thanks again I didn't think I would get this response.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Since the scanner is playing nicely...............a few more Dash ideas.............

[ATTACH]4086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4092[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4093[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4090[/ATTACH]

...............and if you want to use Triumph Vitesse instruments, this layout worked - note the shaded area highlighted on the gash dash before I started to determine where the gauges could be seen.

[ATTACH]4091[/ATTACH]

It did have the 2500 engine too........

Comment

Working...
                              X