sportster door fitting advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sportster door fitting advice

hey guys, i have had my marlin sportster kit for around 3 weeks now, and i am well in the swing of building. a little about me and my car first! My name is craig and im 25, i work as a mechanical technician on a nuclear powerstation in southwest england, the marlin is my second kit car, my first was a GBSC ZERO i started when i was 20, and passed IVA in 2012, i sold that kit at a huge loss to fund building a marlin sportster!

my car is based on the e39 5 series rear axle sub-frame assembly, with e 36 front struts and i plan on fitting the s50b32 3.2 evo engine, which i believe i will be amount a hand full of people to have used this engine!

currently i have have the majority of the front suspension fitted, the rear subframe, pedal box and fuel tank fitted. i started playing around with the doors today as i am currently waiting on other parts and i cant seem to make things fit too well so i was hoping to get some advice before i go cutting panels and making mistakes!

basically i have followed the marlin manual and used 3mm plywood as a spacer on the bottom sill of the door, but it is the drivers side A panel louvred cover that does not line up so well.

the passenger side seems ok :

the top gap between the door and the lower edge of the A panel cover is fairly consistant and i can trim the panel to achieve a parallel gap of around 3mm either side.

however on the drivers side its a different story

as you can see the front corner of the door fits ok, but the gap gets progessivley bigger the further back towards the door you go:

however i am able to pull the scuttle down by hand to achieve the gap:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

its almost like the rail the scuttle sits on is slightly twisted.

i can also achieve the correct gap by tilting the door up at the striker pin end, however this then leaves a massive gap between the bottom of the door and chassis sill :

all the hinges are welded onto the doors, and the chassis has the holes drilled already to accept the hinges, although the holes do allow a lot of ajustment.

i tried adding a few washers under the front scuttle securing nut to effectivley push the back of the scuttle down further which brought the gaps much more even, but then left a big gap on the front scuttle to the bulk head!

does any one have any advice onthis?

Re: sportster door fitting advice

Hi Craig, I'm afraid that I don't have any hands on experience of the Sportster. However my first thoughts are that you should get the door sitting how you want it then try to get the scuttle to match. You say you can push the scuttle down so I would try to fix it like that. I had a look at your photo link and there are some good pics, have you thought about doing a build diary? Scott

Comment

Working...
    X