Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Berlinetta "cockpit" compared to a Spridget ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlinetta "cockpit" compared to a Spridget ?

At present I've got a 1972 Austin (post Healey agreement) Sprite but whilst driving position OK a leg problem mean have difficulty getting in and out.
    How does the Berlinetta cockpit compare, size wise, to a Spridget ? Looking at pictures I can see the steering wheel looks further away - which is a bonus. What about feet area - larger, same or smaller ?

Thanks.

Paul H

Re: Berlinetta "cockpit" compared to a Spridget ?

Hi Compo. Tell us where you are and maybe there will be a local member who can let you try his car for size, from my memories of Spridgets I would certainly expect the Berli to be much bigger inside

Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
      Hi Compo. Tell us where you are and maybe there will be a local member who can let you try his car for size, from my memories of Spridgets I would certainly expect the Berli to be much bigger inside

Rgds DC
      I'm at Werrington, Stoke-on-Trent. A sit in a car to try for size would be brilliant.

Pau H

Comment

A Berly is good for drivers over 6ft, However elbow room/ width , is restricted because of the slab sides and width of running boards. The position of the steering wheel can vary dependant on the builder, same with the pedals in the footwell. Lots of modifications have been carried out over the years and most are covered in tech tips.
        Danny.

Comment

Originally posted by danny.nelson View Post
          A Berly is good for drivers over 6ft, However elbow room/ width , is restricted because of the slab sides and width of running boards. The position of the steering wheel can vary dependant on the builder, same with the pedals in the footwell. Lots of modifications have been carried out over the years and most are covered in tech tips.
          Danny.
          I'm used to lack of elbow / shoulder room after years of Land Rovers (now got a Mahindra MM540).

Paul H

Comment

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
            ........................ a leg problem mean have difficulty getting in and out.
            How does the Berlinetta cockpit compare, size wise, to a Spridget ? Looking at pictures I can see the steering wheel looks further away - which is a bonus. What about feet area - larger, same or smaller ?

Thanks.

Paul H
            Getting in and out of all the 'Running board' Marlin's is a bit of a contortion act.

Definitely recommend you "Try before you buy".

Keep an eye on the Forum, as we are in the process of developing a published list of members details who are willing to be contacted about their cars.

Comment

My Roadster was on show inside at the Exeter Kit Car Show on our local Kit Car Club stand, and on Saturday night I had put on the Forum that there were 3 Marlins on show. When I arrived on Sunday morning, about 11am a person was waiting to have a sit in mine for size as he wanted an authentic looking car to go on the Mille Miglia. By the time I had arrived he had tried the Marlins outside, but as I have no seat in mine only a squab, he found it fitted him perfectly. He was tall and found with a seat his knees were bunched up under the steering wheel. He said his wife would meet him out there, so I suggested the idea of pannier type boxes on the doors for additional carrying space for clothes as described in the Pitstop. I hope he reads this and keeps us updated on his trip. He also said he wanted to have a Triumph based car as he had several spares. David.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Getting in and out of all the 'Running board' Marlin's is a bit of a contortion act.

Definitely recommend you "Try before you buy".

Keep an eye on the Forum, as we are in the process of developing a published list of members details who are willing to be contacted about their cars.

Sort of already thought about that. I suppose there is always the option of going for the Sportster type wings with no running boards if they prove too much for me to get over. Biggest problem is my left leg which I have to wear a brace due to unstable knee joint. If I can "hook" my left leg in first then I should be OK but as you say need to "try before you buy".

Paul H

Comment

Having my own Berlinetta. I agree with all above, but like to add at 5ft 9inch, I can only get in by placing left leg in first and my wife as passenger has to use right leg first going in and both legs together comming out, both agree running board is the diffacult bit to straddle.
                  Hood up (soft top) also is a semi squat positioning for driver entry.
                  Fred C

Comment

I realised ages ago running boards on any car can be a problem. At one time I juggled the idea of a Panther Lima but Spridget doors and running boards would have made it very difficult for me to get in and out. Can't be as bad as a Caterham 7 sat in at a car show - salesmen had drag me out as I was stuck !
                    What appeals with a Berlinetta is long doors. Any car will have to be modified to suit me. Quick thought this morning is attach the door area of the running board to the bottom of the door.

Paul H

Comment

Hi guys, I Have had a few issues with acess as in my 60's, but as my Berli (hard top) is my sole car, and it is in use 24/7.365 days a year you soon learn to adapt. Entry gained by seat well back,left leg in, bum, right leg, seat forward to reach pedals. out is for me seat back, right leg out, planting right hand on wheel arch,left hand up out, left leg out on 12+ times daily. but my wife tends to go in bum first ( bang head, and swear) followed by both legs. Same in reverse for exiting. works for us as our seats have 12 to 14" travel. On Reading about your case of issue & modifiying Would a left hand drive option suit you better as i would think it wouldn't be to difficult to alter maybe ?. Ps. You will love the Berlinetta,s

Comment

One of the things that appeals to me with a Berlinetta is the length of the doors and the fact seat can be slid so far back. There are numerous mobility type options such as swivelling seat but obviously I'd have to find a car first

Unfortunately LHD is more of a problem for me than RHD. I've had them in the past when my leg wasn't bad but now struggle to get into the passenger seat of a RHD car !

Paul H

Comment

I've got a copy of the Berlinetta brochure that I picked up from a kit car show maybe 25+ years ago ! In it is a diagram of the interior dimensions so went out to my Sprite with a tape measure. Surprisingly the Sprite is bigger based on measurements. Bit of a shock so now feel it's essential to try a Marlin for size.

HNY

Paul H

Comment

The only owner I have found to date with a car you could try, (maybe due to Xmas period) is located Droitwitch Worcs. An un modified Berly will give length for over 6 ft drivers but is tight in width . Very!
                            A sprite/ midget is fitted with seats much wider (no running boards!) more space all round and right arm/ elbow room. I have known many interested in the Berlinetta (probably from photos) but could not adapt to the driving position. Others large and small enjoy the car. It is a must to try any Marlin model .

Comment

Yesterday got the Sprite out so I could finish removing the engine for fitment into the Roadster. Having the two cars side by side it was surprising how much bigger the Sprite is compared to the Marlin.
                              Still reckon I've made the right decision even though I'll have to modify the Roadster.

Paul H

Comment

Working...
                              X