MG 1275 plus gearbox as alternative to Marina version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG 1275 plus gearbox as alternative to Marina version

I will need to sell my Sprite to fund the purchase of a Marlin. It's a project but unlike many has a nice shell that hasn't been bodged in the past so most of the value is in that (plus tax exempt / one of only 82 Austin versions till existing) rather than the mechanicals.
    In the past when I'd tried to sell the offered have been almost insulting - little more than scrap value ! I'm therefore considering removing the engine & box, hardtop, instruments, seats, rad, etc to sell as a rolling shell and wonder if anyone has fitted a Spridget 1275cc to a Roadster instead of a Marina version ?

Paul H

Re: MG 1275 plus gearbox as alternative to Marina version

I do not know of a Spridget engine and gearbox being fitted to a Roadster. On the face of it, it should be possible, but it might be worth checking one thing. The Marina gearbox had a quite long input shaft, any shorter, and its possible that the gearshift will disappear even further under the Roadster dashboard making it hard to reach or if extended, very 'flappy'.
    Apart from that, everything is possible, but it sounds a shame that an otherwise restoreable car should be broken up. I suppose that like engine swaps its all down to the money available.

There is a cure to the gearbox problem, fit a Type 9 Spridget conversion, it pushes the gear stick about 100mm further back and gives you overdrive!
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 05-01-14, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X