Use in snow ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use in snow ?

Now I've found a Roadster I've been looking at videos of Marlins in trials and reckon I no longer have a need for my Mahindra for gentle green laning
    Snow on other hand could be a problem seeing I live where live we get a lot of it and it's hilly ! My Smart Fortwo is terrible so that leaves the Skoda Fabia diesel which is excellent but wife normally nabs that so I'm thinking that the Marlin could take over as second winter vehicle.
    The plan is to slightly raise suspension along tried and tested methods for road registered trials cars and the increased height will also help my access problem. Of course decent winter tyres would be fitted. I know this would be to detriment of dry road handling.
    What are Marlin like in snow ? Is it worth considering fiddle brakes ?

Paul H
    Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 17-01-14, 09:19 AM.

Re: Use in snow ?

Its a little bit of an academic question as in my experience many Roadsters remain garaged over winter, a few hardy souls do take them out though.

Arent fiddle brakes illegal on a road going car? This may not be a problem, except at MOT time!

But I think you are going to run into other problems, most Roadsters, though again there are exceptions, were built without screen demisters, so vision is likely to become a real issue, before you worry about traction. But then, although the weight balance of a Roadster is pretty much 50/50 it's Rear wheel drive, and Front, or All wheel drive has always been better in slippery conditions.
    On the very few occasions that I have driven a Roadster in snow, I have had few handling issues, but then all my cars have been RWD in recent years so I expect the unexpected as the rear tries to overtake the front.

Comment

Hi Paul

As long as you have a good set of tyres you should be OK.

I used mine in the bad snow we had down in Kent and had no problems. I found that if you don't gun the car on heavy snow they will handle OK.

If you look at the rally cars when they go on snow they have skinny tyres, this helps to cut into the snow/ice.

It's like everything if you take it easy you tend not to get stuck.
      Last edited by listerjp2; 17-01-14, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I'm a motorcyclist who used to ride all year round. Whilst I've still got 4 bikes my health is such I can't use them anymore but miss "the wind in my hair" feeling of freedom. Years of Land Rovers with the associated leaks, draughts and poor heater will have prepared me for what to expect in a Marlin
        Heated seat covers are a great way of keeping you warm in an open topped car. I already expected a problem with demisting. I found a company who will custom make heated screens if flat glass so that is an option for the future. Steel wheels with skinny tyres are my choice anyway so are what winter tyres would be fitted and keeping alloys for summer.

Paul H

Comment

I'd back up the comment about using skinny tyres to bite through the snow. The best car I ever drove in snow bar none was a 2CV Citroen. The runner up was a Panda again skinny tyres.

The worst an MR2 that had wide section rears that just skated over the surface with no grip at all.

Brian.

Comment

Hi Paul
            Any chance you could give me the address for the heated screen company, I've been toying with the idea of cutting down a Land Rover Defender heated screen, but if there is someone who can make a screen to fit a Marlin all the better.
            Phil

Comment

It's been a while but I'll try and find it again !
              I wanted a custom heated screen making for a microcar and they said "no problem". Cost was reason as well.

Paul H

Comment

Originally posted by velovol View Post
                I'd back up the comment about using skinny tyres to bite through the snow. The best car I ever drove in snow bar none was a 2CV Citroen. The runner up was a Panda again skinny tyres.

The worst an MR2 that had wide section rears that just skated over the surface with no grip at all.

Brian.
                Unless I am very mistaken, 2cv Front engine, Front wheel drive, Fiat Panda, the same, Toyota MR2 Rear engine, Rear wheel drive, just like a Porsche, that suffers from the pendulum effect.
                From my experience MR2's, when fitted with tyres not recommended by Toyota, especially when budget tyres were fitted, handled like a pig, but with the right tyres and the right staggered profile, handling was equivalent to any other rear wheel drive car.
                Traction really depends on the appropriate rubber for the given conditions and driver ability, budget tyres will result in budget handling whatever car you chose to drive!

Comment

I would be interested to. Thanks Paul

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
                  It's been a while but I'll try and find it again !
                  I wanted a custom heated screen making for a microcar and they said "no problem". Cost was reason as well.

Paul H

Comment

I use the Marlin all year round and have not had a problem in snow. As mentioned above, you just have to be aware of the possibilities of some tail-happy action.

Comment

I quite agree Steve, The MR2 was on Yokohamas of the original type so not a problem of quality but the tyres simply stayed on top of the snow not having the pressure to cut through.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                      X