MGF steel wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGF steel wheels

Anyone used MGF steel spare wheels on a Roadster ?
    PCD is the same and looking on eBay mint wheel with as new quality tyre is fraction of what even just a cheap tyre would cost so I'm thinking they could be a cost effective way of having winter wheels - plus are 14".
    I assume spacers would be required.

Paul H

Re: MGF steel wheels

If I recall correctly the offset on a Marina Wheel is 1/2" (13mm) on an MGF 30mm, so spacers will be essential, especially on the front to clear the suspension upright. It also means that longer studs, with the correct thread to match the MGF Alloy wheel nuts will be required, making it a nightmare to swap between different wheels.
    Far better to try and source some standard Marina/Triumph wheels, that will simply swap quickly and easily.
    I think http://www.midlandwheels.com/ still do a range of Triumph 14 or 15" wheels.

Comment

Forgot about clearance for the upright !

Paul H

Comment

Hi Paul,
        I put MGF spares on my Marina based Roadster a few years ago. It posed no problems at all. A thin spacer was needed so the rim cleared the suspension at the top. I bought new chrome wheel nuts for cosmetic reasons but later fitted Morris 1100 hubcaps. I did all this because I wanted a more 1950s look and also raise the car a tad. I also put full 80% aspect tyres on to raise the gearing. This put the speedo out but there are ways of getting over that. The wheels can be bought dead cheap on Ebay and usually they have little or no use. However, the tyres should be dumped if they are old. I put 165/80 x 14 tyres on. Hope this helps. Franklin.
        Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
        X