X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me the history of this car

Marlin roadster.jpg

Re: Can anyone tell me the history of this car

No, but that looks like Spanish sunshine, lucky so and so. Brian.

Comment

Thanks, but, I recognise the Reg, hoping the Archive holders can fill in some gaps in my knowledge.
      I am trying to decide whether to export my Marlin to Spain, with all the costs, or buy something here.

This one is in Spain. Spanish registered now, but expensive at UK prices.

Comment

Steve
        This car was for sale in Kit Car magazine Sept 2001, painted red, advertised by Uxbridge Kit Cars as a low mileage one owner car, MGB engine and overdrive box. Still has the same wheels, but looks like a full retrim and repaint. Sorry, we have no further data.

Should you happen to find out the Marlin chassis number and Spanish registration number it can go into our database. Sorry cannot be of further help.

DC

Comment

The DVLA record shows it as at 14th- November -2013 the car was SORN with no export marker. Engine size 1275cc ?? Are you sure its the same car??
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

There is a big difference between a 1275 car that has been in Spain for over a year and a 1.8 MGB powertrain car from 2001, hence my question.
            Does the MOC Database not give any previous owners etc.

Comment

Another Marlin in Spain
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Believe me this subject is best left between owner and the relevant authority. Enjoy your own car, and leave other cars and there details to their owners.

Comment

OT but elderly, retired, mate had a holiday flat in Spain and kept the Nissan 300C he'd had from new there. It came back to UK every so often and had UK plates but also current MOT and insurance. Spanish authorities towed it away from a private car park outside the flat as they were having a purge on UK cars being kept in Spain on original number plates. He was told that he could reclaim the car without penalty if he could prove still UK legal but storage charges would still apply and they were so high it wasn't worth rescuing the car so he "walked away".

Paul H

Comment

I wonder then, what is the point of the Club holding a database? For whose benefit?

Spanish bureaucracy is a little odd, there are many regional variations in the manner in which they apply their laws. The Guardia Civil have a bad reputation, but in the UK, your car can be crushed if it does not have insurance, etc, so not really so very different.
                    One gentleman near here got very upset with the Guardia, when they would not let him drive his car away after being pulled over in a random check. He argued with the Guardia and ended up being put in the cells for a couple of nights to cool down. It turns out that his UK credit card driving licence had expired. The moral of the story is check and double check that paperwork is correct, even if you are in the UK.
                    There are many UK registered cars over here that are not taxed, MOT'd or insured, much like foreign cars on UK roads. What you can do though here, as said in another post, is get a Voluntary ITV (Mot) that satisfies the Guardia Civil as long as you are UK taxed and insured (though that is a moot point in the UK). Always remember that if a car is not taxed or MOT'd, in its country of registration, its also illegal to drive it through any other country even if you are driving to get an MOT. It's a classic cost/benefit analysis.

Apart from the legal side of things, a low RHD drive car is hardly ideal in Spain. Converting a Roadster would require locating an export Marina rack, rather like hens teeth!
                    Spanish driving is on a par with Italians, and they have not yet worked out how to use roundabouts safely, so a lot of driving is defensive. Add to that interesting road junction design where the roads were built with scant regard for safety, but... One of the biggest drawbacks for any low slung vehicle is the extreme variation in speed bump height. Though they are sign posted (generally) or painted like zebra crossings, (which they aren't always) I have seen modern cars, (usually hire cars) lose their front panels, on one local speed bump that is particularly vicious.
                    Last edited by stevejgreen; 21-01-14, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Steve

My post above is all "we" have on this car, and there is no official MOC database, purely a personal collection of information, for my personal interest.

Suggest you take heed of Danny's comments

DC
                      Last edited by dcunn; 21-01-14, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I think I gave a pretty clear indication that I had no intention of purchasing this vehicle. Currently it has no UK identification (I dug the picture out from my own collection) though it is advertised for sale. I do wonder whether the garage that have the car have any idea of its history.
                        Personally I think its in the wrong place at the wrong time at the wrong price, someone else will think differently.

Comment

Working...
                        X