Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affects on handling etc if ride height raised ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affects on handling etc if ride height raised ?

One of the ways I intend improving driver access to the Roadster I'm having (just over 24 hours time ) is to raise the ride height. This ties in with my desire to have improved clearance for gentle green laning seeing I've decided to sell my Mahindra MM540. Following the tried and tested route of removing the lowering blocks from the rear and turning the front torsion bar splines I assume that will give around 2". I'd then like 14 or 15" wheels with full profile tyres but that will come later when funds allow (perils of early retirement is constant lack of spare cash !) I'm not a fast driver and prefer pottering around the local lanes (I live in Staffordshire Moorlands, at base of Peak District, and these are the places I enjoyed on push bike when young) but still want reasonable handling. Does such modifications affect the handling much ? I doubt there will be much, if any, motorway or high speed (I regard 70 mph as high) as I have other cars more suited for that.

Thanks.

Paul H

Re: Affects on handling etc if ride height raised ?

As I had similar problems because of some metal bits in the left Ieg I tried raising the ride height but that resulted in even worse handling. The steering arms need to remain virtually parallel to the ground.

I've now fitted 15 inch MGA wire wheels with 165 section tyres, same size as VW beetle. Expensive but it looks right for the car, can't comment on handling yet but should be O.K.

Brian.

Comment

Years ago I had a leg operation that affected bending my right knee so I used to get in and out from the left side of the car sliding across can save some acute bending. One way of raising the rear ride height would be to use longer rear shackles to jack the back up.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

My problem is I have to wear a brace on my left leg so have limited knee movement. Getting in and out of my Roadster is a lot easier than expected. A little more leg room would be welcome and I can already see seat can go back 3" and pedal box moved forward so will try that in "mock up" mode to see how it feels. At worse it's cut the car in half, add metal and make into a LWB at a later date as full strip down intended - probably next winter.
        As Velovol says I will check out the steering arms if front torsion bar splines turned. I believe you need to pack out the bottom pivot to correct camber angle when front raised.

Paul H

Comment

Paul

I still have the LWB which would probably save a lot of work, if you interested in stretching it yours.

Dave

Comment

Hi Paul

I have just been speaking to someone who has a spare set of MGB Wires and are 14". Tyre size as fitted are 165/14. They look about 5.5" j.

If your interested I will PM you his name.

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
            One of the ways I intend improving driver access to the Roadster I'm having (just over 24 hours time ) is to raise the ride height. This ties in with my desire to have improved clearance for gentle green laning seeing I've decided to sell my Mahindra MM540. Following the tried and tested route of removing the lowering blocks from the rear and turning the front torsion bar splines I assume that will give around 2". I'd then like 14 or 15" wheels with full profile tyres but that will come later when funds allow (perils of early retirement is constant lack of spare cash !) I'm not a fast driver and prefer pottering around the local lanes (I live in Staffordshire Moorlands, at base of Peak District, and these are the places I enjoyed on push bike when young) but still want reasonable handling. Does such modifications affect the handling much ? I doubt there will be much, if any, motorway or high speed (I regard 70 mph as high) as I have other cars more suited for that.

Thanks.

Paul H

Comment

Working...
            X