Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake servo and master cylinder

Hello
    I would like some advise on the best course of action on my servo and brake master cylinder the master cylinder has been leaking on to the servo hopefully you can see in the photo is it worth replacing the seals in the cylinder and hoping the servo is ok or should I replace both items. I am leaning towards buying new items as regarding the servo it is a real pain to get off the car. Where would be the best place to buy a new servo and cylinder from?
    Thanks Angus
    Attached Files

Re: Brake servo and master cylinder

I would change it you should never compromise on something as important as brakes.You can try Rimmers, Earlparts but you will be paying around £110 for a new servo. Master, Ebay. I don't know if you have an AllParts near you. I have found that they can normally source this kind of thing.

Adrian

Comment

Definitely replace both.

Comment

You could go the same route as me and fit a remote servo.

I've already got a new kit I bought for another car but this seems to be the average price.

Paul H

Comment

Hi Angus

Your servo looks very much like a metro servo - does anyone know if they are interchangeable?
          IF they are, they appear on ebay, brand new old stock and can be picked up for aless than £20.

Several of the Sportster guys who had the Dual servo upgrade may have surplus Metro servos available for next to nothing?
          If anyone can confirm they will fit I'll make some enquiries for you.

(As Adrian says - brakes are not to be compromised, so definitely get yourself a new/much better one)

Mike

Comment

Angus, I have the servo removed from my Hunter, as far as I know it is a Metro one, was working fine, and sits on the shelf doing nothing, so yours free if you would like it.

I'm sure we can find a way to get it to you - or the coffee is cheap here if you want to come and see the Mk1 in progress, and glad to help

My contact details are in Pitstop, and thanks to Mike G for telling me about this post

Rgds DC

Comment

Thanks guys for replying so quickly it is quite miss leading when you look on flee bay and you see all of these new seal kits for the servo and cylinder it makes you think it is possible to refurb them, but do agree the brakes are very important and new items will be sourced. (Along with boat anchor and a parachute deployment for heavy braking)
              Dave thanks for the kind offer of your metro servo I will bear it in mind I think I am leaning towards a remote servo as Paul suggested it may give me more options regarding the steering column.
              At the moment it is routed over the top of my carbs and then drops down to the rack but as you can see in the photo the ujs are at quite an angle. I have moved the car around in the work shop with it fabricated like this and it seems to work fine but have not tried it down the road as the engine is not running yet so may give me more options if the steering feels notchy to re route the column under the carbs.
              Regarding the remote servo I may well have a trip over to the mgb hive as they are not to far from me and have a look at one to see if I can make it work what I can not quite get my head round is where the fluid resivior fits and if this is separate item which needs purchasing. Any more suggestions or advise will be great fully received. Thanks Angus
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Angus My Roadster had a Toyota 2T engine with the original Carb, which was massive. My steering had to be re routed and that was ok, not notchy at all. Looking at your picture it definitely wasn't at such an acute angle. You may have to move that lovely looking expansion bottle but I would have thought it would fit over that side. Normally the Master Cylinder would sit on the front of the Servo. I will leave it up to the guys who have done this before to answer that question.
                Last edited by listerjp2; 27-01-14, 06:33 PM.

Comment

A remote servo can be fitted anywhere. Even in the boot as long as you reroute the pipework. In fact the Hillman Imp Sport had it's servo in the back with the engine !

Paul H

Comment

Does a Roadster need a servo? I suspect that the only reason the Marina based version has one is because it was easier to leave the breaking unit (servo and master cylinder) complete and just fit it. The car only weighs 2/3rds of the original so is it necessary? Did Triumph Herald based kits use one? I feel my A series engined Roadster is over breaked at times, particularly in the wet. Also, I would like the freedom to re-route the column and achieve a steering wheel angle of about 20 - 30 degrees.
                    Franklin, Leicester

Comment

I suspect the major issue with braking on Roadsters is due to the shortening of the brake pedal, reducing mechanical advantage by a significant margin. The effect of shortening reduces the pedal ratio to less than 3:1...with 5:1 being a more desirable figure. Servo-less the standard setup may be adequate for a light A-series motor but with a B'oat anchor up front I never felt comfortable even with a servo..!
                      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

My car (six cylinder Triumph hybrid) had always suffered with a dead brake pedal and no servo, the servo was always an optional extra on the Herald and Vitesse and was a remote unit but with asbestos linings the cars stopped on a sixpence anyway. I had tried various compounds even Green stuff without succes then last year I fitted Mintex M1144 not cheap, and once they were bedded in they improved the confidence in braking by loads.
                        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I don't have a brake servo on my Roadster, it has discs all round and stops fine.

Comment

Hi Tony
                            Your brake set up sounds interesting is your roadster marina based or triumph? How have you converted to discs on the rear axle? and what master cylinder have you got? Any pictures?
                            Cheers Angus

Comment

Originally posted by angusgrooby View Post
                              Hi Tony
                              Your brake set up sounds interesting is your roadster marina based or triumph? How have you converted to discs on the rear axle? and what master cylinder have you got? Any pictures?
                              Cheers Angus

Hi Angus,

It has Triumph front end and Jaguar IRS rear with inboard discs, not sure what the master cylinder is, will have a look.

Best regards
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X