Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Plumbing on Triumph Straight Six Engine

Hello

I have a couple of questions about the plumbing in my car. Do I need the overflow pipe in the red box. I have been having problems with the joint leaking which I have had a go at fixing with some leak fix compound. This worked OK for a while but has subsequently started leaking. So before I take the radiator out (think I will have to remove the cowl too) I was thinking that I could just plug the hole that is underneath the radiator cap and do away with this pipe, which picture 2 shows.

Old plumbing 1.jpg

new plumbing 1.jpg

My understanding is that the header tank would still work by allowing the expanded fluid to fill up the header tank via the pipe that goes over in the inlet manifold? Have I got this right? The radiator cap on the radiator is a blank and the header tank one has the pressure cap in? And while we are on this subject can anyone confirm the pressure cap rating. I have got a cap that I got from my local parts shop and it is 13LBS. According to my Haynes manual this is the one for later models (which I am assuming is all 2Ltr Vitesse cars as opposed to the 1600s.

Any advice much appreciated.

Regards

Dan Cook

Re: Radiator Plumbing on Triumph Straight Six Engine

Hi, Dan............ In the top picture the overflow pipe on the radiator is connected to the overflow of the plastic expansion bottle so any build up of pressure has no where to go so that is probably not helping with the leak............................. The radiator and thermostat housing are not as original Triumph along with the T piece and pressurised expansion bottle, the original system would just have a non pressurised expansion bottle fed from the rad overflow with a 7lb cap. The 13lb cap was fitted to the mk3 GT6 but the increase in pressure just helps to prevent boiling so not a problem really..........................If you go with the second pic layout you will need to blank off the over flow at the rad and use the non pressure cap but I have noticed another connection on the new tank with the red cap that will need blanking off or you could connect it to the radiator using the original over flow connection. Then you just need an open end waste pipe on the expansion tank overflow.
    Last edited by b_caswell; 15-03-14, 04:52 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

get rid! Its not needed. heres a diagram from CBS which should help you see where everything goes

Capture.JPG
      Last edited by cameronfurnival; 14-03-14, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks Ben and Cameron for helping me out with advice given. I think I will plug the radiator overflow and the header tank one. Definitely want to take th car for a spin in the lovely sunshine!

Regards

Dan Cook

Comment

That's it...rad overflow to header with a blanking cap on the rad...I have a similar setup, albeit with an additional bleed from the thermostat.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

You could fit an overflow tank below the header tank somewhere in the engine bay and lead your header tank overflow pipe into that (open to atmosphere). You could then blank off the radiator outlet and you will end up with a bit more water capacity which is always handy.

Comment

What was the spring sitting on the edge of the intake of the rear carburettor in the first picture ?
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Nothing wrong with your eyes Ben! I can't remember what that compression spring was for. Photo No 1 was quite an old picture.

Plumbed in the header tank and taken the car for a spin. All seems well, happy days.

Dan Cook

Comment

Working...
                X