X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fist post and first Marlin

Hi

My first post, here goes

Just bought my first Marlin off E Bay it was registered September 1984, car is for restoration, but mostly intact

I am pleasantly surprised as I was expecting Marina 1.8 TC engine and Marina suspension at the front

Engine is pure MGB with correct high compression engine number, and front suspension is also MGB, with lever dampers,coils , and I assume a MGB cross member.

It sits on 14" wire wheels and I guess MG again.

All above now a bit of a bonus to what I assumed would be present.

Is the above specification unusual for a mk2 Marlin?

Previously restored classics (last one a P4 100 Rover 1961) so this is going to be more fun when up and driving.

Also any ideas where to get spares , one of the hood rods is missing according to the P.O

Thanks for any help and suggestions
    Last edited by steppenwolf 1936; 11-04-14, 03:50 PM.

Re: First post and first Marlin

Front suspension maybe Triumph based, Vitesse Herald etc. Engine may be MGB but there are subtle differences between it and a Marina lump most noticeably an electric fuel pump on an MGB and a mechanical one low down on the passenger side of the block. The MGB also has a one piece casting for the bell housing and gearbox.
    these cars do get modified so anything could be the case.

Comment

Pretty sure no Triumph front end (wish bones) with leaver arm dampers.

Comment

Yes had quite a few mgb's and V8's definetly complete mgb front suspension..

Comment

Coil springs either Mgb or triumph. That's quite a hybrid you have there, I would be interested to see how an MGB suspension was grafted on.

Comment

Pic of front suspension-IMG_20140411_170503384_HDR.jpg

I hope

Comment

Wahoo that's a weird one.

Have you driven it?

How does it handle?

Adrian

Comment

I'm betting MGB rear axle as well ?
                Nice combo and guaranteed easy mechanical parts sourcing with the back up MGB's have
                Is the pedal box MGB as well ?

Paul h

Comment

Not driven, just been rolled into my drive from road trailer.

Pedal box is MGB with associated brake and clutch cylinders.

In order of priority car needs

A- An ignition switch/barrel on order at mo, present one is missing and has been started previously by hot wiring and is said to run o.k , I can't say I am happy to do that so will wait for a switch

B-Once running o.k i think the radiator is suspect as is covered in rust stains.

C-Crack on with sorting out interior and exterior , plus a repaint in Alfa red, wires will be red too.

D- Mot and then happy days....

I have to say i am liking this car more than I thought

Comment

Re the hood frame .....your car has the early rear body moulding so the hood frame mounts lower down and I doubt if anyone has a spare. The tubing is stock so you should be able to get the missing part made up. Try assembling the frame you have and you will probably work out what's missing. If you cant work it out then post a picture and I will try and explain what you need. The MGB base is certainly an interesting one off and you can still see where the steering rack was when the car was Marina based. Glad you are enjoying the car.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                    X