X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinto radiator

Hi Folks,

Generic opening paragraph.
    I've spent the last day or two having a look at my roadster and am gearing myself up to get started with a few of the initial jobs. In my build thread I've said there are a number of different jobs to tackle and am going to split my questions out into separate threads so that future people searching for similar answers to my questions wont have to trawl through pages of my guff and badly taken pictures. So apologies if i spawn a lot of threads in the next day or two but i have a number of things burbling in my head at the moment and want to ask a lot of questions.
    mods - if you want to merge/move/delete threads no probs.

So lets be about it.

This thread is about radiators.

This is the one i have. From a viva? I dont bloomin know, I'm 36, started driving six years ago and spent most of that in a company car that got changed every six months, ie before I'd even worn out the brake pads. its knackered, even i can tell that. The engine is a 1.8 pinto. Basically, What Do?
    2014412143231.jpg

A look around the forum and i spotted a post where someone has used a civic radiator.Does this still seem like sound advice? Here is a civic radiator in aluminum for £69

there is also a japanese breakers down the road from me so i could probably pick one up from them but to be fair in the past i have seen them outright rip people off.

I did read back in this thread http://www.marlinownersclub.com/foru...tor+manchester that i should proably just go and see this bloke in manchester. Its denton and only a few miles down the road from me.

Re: pinto radiator

Hi Rooha

Why do you say your radiator is knackered? The few bent fins are no indicator of its condition. If it leaks then OK its probably best to source a new one, but have you tested it?

Quick simple test :

Place a hose in the top, and let the water pour out of the bottom until it is flushed: then turn it upside down and do the same. Repeat until clear water comes out both ways.

Next dry it off. Then press two good old fashioned potatoes onto the two hose oulets to bung them up. Then fill the rad from the top until it is brim full. Leave to stand, and see if you have any leaks.

If not, why change?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike; 16-04-14, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Looks better than mine...
      First do what Mike says..if the bent fins offend you can gently straighten those out with a small screwdriver or a wooden lolly stick/wooden cuticle thingy (or equivalent to prevent inadvertent damage).
      Then if it leaks a little you might want to consider waiting until you can run the engine & get it nice & hot and check how bad it really is and whether a can of RadWeld might be all that's needed.
      Failing which a reconditioned unit or Civic rad might be the way to go...I will be fitting the latter at some point...but bent fins & RadWeld will do for now..! Of more pressing concern is an rather dramatic oil leak.
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I've got a market stall pair of cheap long nosed pliers I ground down to make into rad fin straighteners.
        Looks like this sort of thing -

Paul h

Comment

interesting thoughts gents. I'll run some tests tomorrow and report back. And probably have a go at the fins with my collection of pliers. i seem to have more of them every time i turn around.

Comment

Working...
          X