Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts ideas

Hi all,

so having bought a Marlin and having realised that I might have underestimated what was ahead of me. I'm now working out what parts I'm going to need to get it through an MOT.

What I'd like to know is some of the parts others are using for wiper motor, mirrors etc.

My goal is to currently get it legal, then scratch my head on the cosmetics.

Thanks

Re: Parts ideas

Wiper motor is a standard Lucas used on many 1970's cars and parts are still available.
    what are the other parts you need?

Comment

Thanks for that. I had a feeling something like a mini wiper motor would work. I think that the suspension is going to need attention. From what I understand, the running gear on this Marlin is from a Triumph so would that be from a herald?

Comment

Hi, I noticed you have some documents relating to Triumph repair manual and I'm sure other documents I would find extremely helpful, is it possible to get access to these?

Thanks

Comment

Hi yes, all the build manuals are available on this site - but only to full members (its only £15 a year plus £2.50 joining fee) and loads of other stuff (and if you cant see it ask and we will try to find it). Also, access to very knowledgable people plus marque reps is only an email, post or pm away. Use of the classifieds is also a good way to put up wanted ads.
          PM me if you need more

Comment

Hi, I am planning on becoming a member and was actually going to ask if you were taking payments directly at the kit car show as I don't have a cheque book. Or are there any other payment options, Paypal etc?

Comment

yes! you will be able to pay Derek at the show pound coins or cheque etc Paypal may become an option in the future but not right now.

Comment

Great stuff, I'll raid the piggy bank.

Comment

Is this a all Triumph car or a Hybrid with Marina rear axle?? Either way the drive, suspension and brakes could be from Herald,Spitfire with 9" Discs and type 12calipers or Vitesse,GT6 with 9.7" discs and type 16calipers. If the calipers are from a late GT6 the threads will be metric. If you PM me the car details I may have more info about the car. Once you have worked out the model of Triumph donor provided the parts the next thing you need is the workshop manual for it. Come and have a chat at Stoneleigh I will be there all weekend.
                  Last edited by b_caswell; 27-04-14, 10:31 PM.
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Mid way through prepping the car for MOT and need a bit of advice. I need to source a full wiper motor and linkage etc. Having measured the points between the centre of the spindles (35 cm) I'm at a bit of a loss as to which motor any linkage I need. Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Standard 2-speed 14w Lucas motor & custom-linkage is probably what you need.
                      Check out Stafford Vehicle Components as they do motors, wheelboxes & tubing to make the linkage from. I believe they'll even make you the tubes up as well.
                      They have a guide to wiper motors on http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/wiper-systems/
                      If you do get a new motor go for the largest gear wheel possible - coupled with 32-tooth wheelboxes (Marina were 38-tooth IIRC) you get vastly improved sweep.
                      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

That's great. Thanks for the speedy response.

Comment

use the standard BL wiper motor and linkage but make your own bundy tube for the centre between the wheel boxes - CBS do a complete kit if you prefer to have things ready made

Comment

The original system was the Triumph Herald/Vitesse Motor Wheel boxes and the tubing which was shortened to fit as detailed in the build manual.
                            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by AppliedThought View Post
                              Hi, I am planning on becoming a member and was actually going to ask if you were taking payments directly at the kit car show as I don't have a cheque book. Or are there any other payment options, Paypal etc?
                              For God's sake don't use the 'P-word'!

Comment

Working...
                              X