Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random instrument cluster .. identification needed

Evenin,

So i was on ebay bidding on things for a laugh. Its usually a mistake as i always end up winning something i don't need or want. this time i got an instrument cluster for £2.50. I'm not sure where it came from though .. it looks like a bit like one from a capri and i cant find a model number on it anywhere (although i haven't taken the plastic wiring thingy off the back admittedly. Anyone recognise it and by any chance might it wire up to a sierra SOHC. I did see a series of articles in some old issues of pitstop about blinging up an old cluster and it might be an interesting project over the winter.
    2014508180443.jpg

Re: random instrument cluster .. identification needed

Not Capri or Sierra. My 2.0 Pinto powered MK2 Granada LX auto had different dash as well (same as 2.8 GL with aux gauges elsewhere).
    Has Amp rather than Volts which might help identify.
    Posted a message on Retro Rides to see if anyone recognises.

Paul h
    Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 10-05-14, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Bingo. Retro Ride message came up trumps.
      It's a MKI S2 (post 1976 facelift) Granada item. Top of range model so 3.0Ltr. That means rev counter will be for a V6 & doubt speedo will be accurate. Matching senders off V6 will probably be needed for water and oil but worth trying with Sierra items first as you might be lucky. Not sure about fuel - could be OK. Amps will need substantial (as in heavy duty cable) wiring unless it is a shunt type.

Paul H

Comment

great work - I have been pondering this all day, thought it might be a foreign car with the battery and oil gauges but yes, grandad it is. I knew I had seen one somewhere as a friends dad had one back in the day. This could be an interesting game to play ..

Comment

If you have a Sierra cluster you might be able to swop over the rev counter and speedo internal whilst still keeping the Granada face. I'm betting there is a way of converting the rev counter to work with 4 cylinder as well. Aftermarket rev counters often have a selector switch that allows 4/6/8 cylinders so assume it's just a resistor / capacitor that needs changing.

Paul H

Comment

wahey, just found the thread over on retro rides. those folks know their stuff. it had damn well eluded me as to what it was. kudos to you compo.

into the random parts bin it goes and I'll mull it over whilst i watch some episodes of the Sweeney for inspiration.

Comment

Working...
            X