No announcement yet.

What slave wheels fit without spacers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What slave wheels fit without spacers ?

Somebody wants to buy my alloy wheels that are on the Roadster at present. That is good news as I intend fitting decent larger steels and full profile tyres idc but in mean time will need a slave set to keep it rolling whilst being refurbished.
    Question therefore is what wheels will fit straight onto a Marina based without use of spacers ? I already know MGF will require spacers. Obviously Marina / Ital but what about Herald / Spitfire / Dolomite etc ?

Thanks.

Paul H

Re: What slave wheels fit without spacers ?

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
    Somebody wants to buy my alloy wheels that are on the Roadster at present. That is good news as I intend fitting decent larger steels and full profile tyres idc but in mean time will need a slave set to keep it rolling whilst being refurbished.
    Question therefore is what wheels will fit straight onto a Marina based without use of spacers ? I already know MGF will require spacers. Obviously Marina / Ital but what about Herald / Spitfire / Dolomite etc ?

Thanks.

Paul H
    Hi Paul,
    I guess you know the PCD and bore size of your existing wheels so you can use this website to search for other car applications and offsets...
    Wheelfitment.eu Home - de grootste database met velgen steek, ET waarde, naaf diameter, montage en bandenmaat voor vrijwel iedere auto

I hope that is some help?

...peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peterx View Post
      Hi Paul,
      I guess you know the PCD and bore size of your existing wheels so you can use this website to search for other car applications and offsets...
      Wheelfitment.eu Home - de grootste database met velgen steek, ET waarde, naaf diameter, montage en bandenmaat voor vrijwel iedere auto

I hope that is some help?

...peter
      nice site but it does not include the Triumph range the origin of the Marina wheels with 3.75" / 95.25mm PCD. That is unless you have a commercial Marina.
      i am pretty sure there is a long article about wheels in FastMarina.

Comment

I know dolomite sprint wheels wont fit!

Comment

Another question on wheels,...Is there a wheel to fit a Marlin roadster that has the modern beaded rim? Looking for some info for a German owner trying to get a Mk1 approval in his homeland.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Do mgf spare wheels fit, the skinny space saving ones? I am sure franklin has them on his car.

Comment

Originally posted by rayhiscocks View Post
              I know dolomite sprint wheels wont fit!
              What was your donor car, and what diameter discs. Dolomite will fit Marina front hubs.

Comment

I have got MGF 14 inch space savers on my Marina based Roadster. They are a nice slim old fashioned steel wheel with holes like an MG TD/TF/ZA magnette. Also, Morgans in the 50s/60s had similar wheels. However, they do need a slim spacer so the tyre doesn't foul the track rod end. I have full 80% aspect 165 tyres on. I researched this quite extensively and this was the only easy solution I came up with and, (to me) looks dead right for a retro look. I could never get to grips with a
                vintage style car with modern alloy wheels, I think the word is anachronistic.
                If you want pics email me - [email protected]
                Franklin.
                Franklin, Leicester

Comment

I forgot to ask, Paul, what is your objection to spacers, my setup requires a very slim 5mm apx spacer and this means that the wheels still fit nicely within the wing width of the car, see photo on left. Franklin.
                  Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin, Leicester View Post
                    I forgot to ask, Paul, what is your objection to spacers, my setup requires a very slim 5mm apx spacer and this means that the wheels still fit nicely within the wing width of the car, see photo on left. Franklin.
                    No objection to spacers on decent wheels but don't want the expense of buying a set just for slave wheels to keep the car rolling whilst it's being rebuild.
                    Somebody on the Marina forum has a set of wheels for me (in exchange for my alloys with £100 in my direction as well ) so now sorted.
                    Rear axle is being changed for a Volvo 340 De Dion item so will have to change the front hub PCD to match 100x4 of the rear !

Paul H

Comment

Originally posted by CompoSimmonite View Post
                      No objection to spacers on decent wheels but don't want the expense of buying a set just for slave wheels to keep the car rolling whilst it's being rebuild.
                      Somebody on the Marina forum has a set of wheels for me (in exchange for my alloys with £100 in my direction as well ) so now sorted.
                      Rear axle is being changed for a Volvo 340 De Dion item so will have to change the front hub PCD to match 100x4 of the rear !

Paul H
                      OK, glad you're sorted. I lost sight of the "slave" aspect. Just for info though, when I put an MGF space saver on with its original tyre it didn't need a space saver because the fat part of the tyre was lower than the track rod end. It was when I put the taller 165s on that there was only a small bit of daylight showing in the gap. There was no problem at the back with either tyre.
                      Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin, Leicester View Post
                        OK, glad you're sorted. I lost sight of the "slave" aspect. Just for info though, when I put an MGF space saver on with its original tyre it didn't need a space saver because the fat part of the tyre was lower than the track rod end. It was when I put the taller 165s on that there was only a small bit of daylight showing in the gap. There was no problem at the back with either tyre.
                        I am about to restart on my mark 2 marlin I bought as an unfinished kit to get through IVA.

My knowledge of triumphs goes back 37 years to my first vitesse when I fitted marina wheels 4.5 inch to increase the track by an inch to help stop tuck under on the rear suspension, the wheels were both 4.5j but on the marina wheels the dish was 0.5 inch further towards the outside of the axle. The mod did work up to a point.
                        So I doubt if the vitesse/gt6 wheels would fit on a marina, but herald and spitfire marks 1-3 were either 3.5 or 4j and may possibly fit and would be worth a try.
                        Dolimite wheels have the right pcd but I am not certain about the offset, some possibly all sprint wheels used larger studs and also you need to use alloy wheel nuts as I came across this when I put sprint wheels on my 1850 years back.

Now what may be more interesting to readers is yesterday I mentioned at my local mechanics about trying an mg tf space saver wheel on my marlin and he came up with well what about rover 25 space saver wheels the come in 14 & 15 inch and I have a 15 inch in the skip! I only had a few minutes last night but its about 3.5 in width and a quick try on the hub showed that it fitted with about 0.5 in space to the track rod end, as there was no tyre or wings on the marlin I am not certain if there is clearance for a 15 inch tyre I am going to investigate more. Thus if you are interested I will post info and photo's on here.

cheers phil d

Comment

Rover 25 are 4x100 PCD. They might slip over Marina 3/8" studs with a 4x95.25 PCD but they would be unsuitable for use on the road.
                          Its pretty easy to swap the studs between the standard Marina and later (larger) Dolomite or even metric Ford sizes as the stud splines are the same.
                          Standard Marina wheels are 1/2" offset but, different tyre manufacturers, despite quoting the same profile, have very different tyre widths, so it pays to check first that the tyre clears the track rod end and tie rods at full lock.

Comment

I have a set of 13" steel wheels that came off my Marlin Roadster they have road legal tyres as well!

If anyone is in the Sussex area and needs them let me know

Comment

Dear Sir, I am interested in your set of steel wheels for my 1985 all triumph roadster, can you please give details of price and where you are in sussex. I am in middlesex, but often visit a friend in west wittering, and could collect when down that way. James Chessman.

Comment

Working...
                              X