X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine thermostat for Hunter - identity needed

Hi Guys
    A number of years ago, I am sure I replaced the engine thermostat of my Hunter (2000cc Scorpio 8-valve engine). I remember struggling to find it and believe it was in the bottom hose as it connects to the engine. Can someone confirm the thermostat model and its location, please?

Anyway, the engine appears to take longer to warm up from cold, and the temperature gauge doesn't seem to go very much above 70 Deg C. I'm in the process of fitting a new electronic gauge with sensor in the top hose, as a double check. Assuming the 2 gauges end up saying the same thing, i.e. engine running on the cold side, I guess that the stat is the only thing left to check out and possibly replace. Comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Engine thermostat for Hunter - identity needed

Here's the detail from the scorpio manual... ThermoDOHC.pdf

or this might be better ... 61728190.gif

61535120.gif
    from http://www.motomobil.com/thermostat-...1728190-1.html

On my black top sierra XR4i 2.0DOHC (I4) the thermostat is on the front of the engine in a housing where the top hose goes to. Bolts on and is in a housing. It needs a rubber ring to seal it iirc.

This may help
    Last edited by cameronfurnival; 23-05-14, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Hi Cameron
      Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for the info - PC died and I had to buy a new one. The diagram above looks similar to my car's design except that it just has one large hose connection which goes to the bottom of the radiator, and no connection for a sender connection (I assume this is what it is) on the front. The whole assembly is on the offside front of the engine above the alternator.

Conclusion: 1) new thermostat fitted, which seems to allow the engine to reach more respectable temps;2) electronic gauge temps eventually catches up to that shown on the original dashboard gauge - the delay is not altogether surprising as the original gauge measures the water temp actually in the engine, and the electronic gauge checks the temp in the top hose immediately adjacent to the radiator. So job done!
      Cheers
      Mike

Comment

Mike, if you follow the top hose along under the throttle body you should see the thermostat housing bolted to the front of the block hidden close to the distributor. Here's where it is on the original sierra fitment...EFi version.

2_0_DOHC_EFIthermostathousing.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X