Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio front shocks

Hi,
    I have a leaking AVO coilover front shock absorber. It is the adjustable type. Does anyone know the extended/compressed length of this make of shock, or the part number? When I replaced the springs a couple of years ago, the spring length was 9.25 inches long with an internal diameter of 2.25 inches.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Mike.

Re: Cabrio front shocks

Hi Mike. Although I don't know the part number for the fronts, my shocks are GAZ all round and work very well. BTW don't forget to listen to my exhaust when you get time. Peter.

Comment

Good to hear that the Gaz shocks work well as I've just bought 2 front and 2 rear Gaz shocks for my Sierra Berly restoration.

Comment

I have AVOs and they sound the same - research I did suggest they are same as mini clubman I think. I rang AVO the guy said part number is on the body of the shock absorber somewhere (he did tell me but I forget). I think they were originally classed as AVO1 but could not find any accuratve validation (it was just in the notebook I received with my car).

Let me know how you get on as I could be approaching the need to change mine

Comment

Hi - I've got Spax front shocks and Avo rear shocks. I suspect that like the front springs, Marlin supplied whatever they had available. (Rear springs are standard Sierra, so no variation there). It would be useful if we could establish between us what the ideal combination is, with part numbers and suppliers. It would save going round the loop again in a few months time! Cheers - Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.kitson View Post
            Hi - I've got Spax front shocks and Avo rear shocks. I suspect that like the front springs, Marlin supplied whatever they had available. (Rear springs are standard Sierra, so no variation there). It would be useful if we could establish between us what the ideal combination is, with part numbers and suppliers. It would save going round the loop again in a few months time! Cheers - Dave.

Dave

I am going round this loop at the moment ............... are all rear springs the same? I find my ride quite unforgiving. I had hoped some of the earlier, and smaller engined Sierra's may have had softer rear suspension springs, compared to the very late 2.0 ghia springs I used?

A similar question then arises as to what rear shocks to use?

Does anyone have a softly sprung/dampened suspension set up? - if so, what springs/shock are you using?

Mike

Comment

Gaz GP6 - 2338 are what are on front of mine

Comment

I use Roadtech adjustable dampers for the rear and seem to have quite a soft ride. The front still crashes into the potholes with its long springs and Spax adjustables but it is somthing I try to live with.
                I think Dave K is right and there are only standard Ford springs for the rear unless you want stronger ones. ( Sierra estate springs)

I will shortly be getting new springs for the Triumph Prototype (at present in slow rebuild) I will ask if they do rear spring replacements

Comment

Originally posted by djj_engineer View Post
                  I use Roadtech adjustable dampers for the rear and seem to have quite a soft ride. The front still crashes into the potholes with its long springs and Spax adjustables but it is somthing I try to live with.
                  I think Dave K is right and there are only standard Ford springs for the rear unless you want stronger ones. ( Sierra estate springs)

I will shortly be getting new springs for the Triumph Prototype (at present in slow rebuild) I will ask if they do rear spring replacements
                  Hi Derek

My research has led to the same conclusion regarding raar spring - the standard ones are the same across the board, whatever engine size, but there are heavy duty ones for Estates.

Some companies then offer "uprated" to replace standard ones. It is therefore possible that I have a pair of "uprated" springs that have been replaced on my donor? I seem to remeber Alan Hogg knowing how to work out a springs compression characteristics - I'll have to measure mine and see how they compare to others.

You say you have Roadtech adjustable dampers (do you know the part no.?) - what setting are you running these on - again I wonder if my fixed rate "After Market Sierra" dampers are part of the cause of my harsh ride?

Comment

Hi Mike - The Spax/Avos on mine are all adjustable and needed to be set at the softer end of things, so fixed ones may well be too hard. Without rechecking, I seem to recall that the rears were on about 3 or 4 clicks out of about 40, so, yes, very soft! Dave

Comment

I have tried to replace my Sierra rear shocks with spax adjustable ,but they keep sending ones that don't fit ?
                      I find the suspension too soft .standard Sierra on the rear but not sure what to try next.
                      Hate the Marlin Cabriolet seats ,too soft and no lateral support ,set too high and quite lose with the tilt mechanism.
                      i find the whole car is like riding a sofa.no connection with the road .

Comment

Originally posted by Motormouse67 View Post
                        I have tried to replace my Sierra rear shocks with spax adjustable ,but they keep sending ones that don't fit ?
                        I find the suspension too soft .standard Sierra on the rear but not sure what to try next.
                        Hate the Marlin Cabriolet seats ,too soft and no lateral support ,set too high and quite lose with the tilt mechanism.
                        i find the whole car is like riding a sofa.no connection with the road .
                        Hi Motormouse

We get across to Matlock on a regular basis, so when I change mine you are welcome to my fixed rate shockers and I'm sure they will transform your ride! They are anything but like riding on a sofa - every bump has the potential to crack your teeth!
                        My saving grace is that I have fitted Audi A4 Sport seats which are brilliant, offering comfort and great lateral support - we can sit in them for hours.

But it is pleasing to know that it is possible to create a soft ride, and for you hopefully that you know it is possible to create a very firm ride.

I was going to go down the route of changing springs but wonder now, based on your and Dave's responses that I may be better off trying adjustable shockers (first, or as well as?). Thanks Dave.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike
                          I have read back through your build !!!! wow very in-depth .I don't have the patience to go to those lengths but love to tinker.
                          I have sorted my Damper Problem after Burton Power sent the wrong ones again .
                          A quick call to GAZ and they have sent me a modified metal sleeve for the bottom bush to cure the problem.
                          They only supply cosworth bushes which have a larger bolt hole.
                          So may be able to fit them at the weekend and lower the suspension about an inch if I can.
                          This looks simple at the rear is that so ?
                          Peter

Comment

Straight forward enough if you have a couple of large spanners to fit the adjustable spring seat and seat lock nut.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Motormouse67 View Post
                              Hi Mike
                              I have read back through your build !!!! wow very in-depth .I don't have the patience to go to those lengths but love to tinker.
                              I have sorted my Damper Problem after Burton Power sent the wrong ones again .
                              A quick call to GAZ and they have sent me a modified metal sleeve for the bottom bush to cure the problem.
                              They only supply cosworth bushes which have a larger bolt hole.
                              So may be able to fit them at the weekend and lower the suspension about an inch if I can.
                              This looks simple at the rear is that so ?
                              Peter

Peter

I'm a bit confused by your comment above................(its easily done these days!).......... are you suggesting fitting new dampers at the rear will lower your suspension by an inch?

Are they coil overs?

The rear suspension height will be controlled by your choice of springs, and the Marlin adjustable spring seat above the spring at the rear.

Mike
                              Last edited by Mike; 19-06-14, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X