Trailers and IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailers and IVA

Following on from the discussion on trailers in another thread. I was going to add a trailer ball and electrics to my sportster before putting it in for its IVA. Am I being totally stupid?

The advantage is that the mechanics and electrics are more easily done at this stage. An IVA pass may be useful at MOT time.
    The disadvantage is that there are a whole slew of incomprehensible rules about towing. A bountiful supply of failure points.

I presented Millie for SVA with the electrics for a trailer in place but tucked out of sight (from above). The inspectors questioned it as they were undecided at to if they needed to check it. It was bolted on so that they could not fit a test plug. I told them that I planned to fit a tow ball in the future although I never have. In the end they decided that they did not need to check it.

I have bought the sort of tow ball that can be locked in position or removed (from a Volvo).
    Paul

Re: Trailers and IVA

Having spent too much time researching the subject of towing and trailers as well as the driving license side of things!!.. I would suggest anyone thinking of towing gets hold of (a) a copy of DVLA leaflet INF 30 Driver Licensing requirements for Towing Trailers in Great Britain. www.direct.gov.uk/motoring................ and(b) a copy of "the essential towing handbook" by the Police Foundation Author Philip Coyne... ISBN 0 11 552022 8 (every thing you ever need to know about towing a trailer........................... All I will say is the 85% rule is only an advisory...............If you fit a tow bar to a car first registered on or after 1 August 1998 you must fit a tow bar that is type approved so I would assume you would need to have the one off (marlin)tow bar inspected(to make it approved) on the IVA so that the requirements can be added to the VIN plate as they are required...................I would suggest a trip to the IVA station and an informal chat with the inspector.
    Last edited by b_caswell; 11-06-14, 04:40 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi All
      A bit of a twist on this one if anyone can help
      I am considering a motorhome and would like to use the Cabrio as our runabout whilst away
      You very often see Motorhomes towing small cars so weight wise will not be a problem,does anyone do this? What type of towing attachment is used? Could it be used on a Marlin?
      Regards
      Bryan
      Stapley Bryan

Comment

Obviously I don't know your circumstances but if you have a medically restricted license you are restricted to a maximum towing weight of 750kg's which puts most Marlins out of the equation. You are also restricted to to the weight of motorhome you can drive - I think it is 3500kg's but you would have to check that out.

Comment

Originally posted by bryannewell View Post
          Hi All
          A bit of a twist on this one if anyone can help
          I am considering a motorhome and would like to use the Cabrio as our runabout whilst away
          You very often see Motorhomes towing small cars so weight wise will not be a problem,does anyone do this? What type of towing attachment is used? Could it be used on a Marlin?
          Regards
          Bryan
          Hi Bryan
          I have an A Frame and a detachable bracket which bolts to the front of tha car. I have used this to tow my Marlin. I will post some pictures on my return from Scotland at the weekend. I am in the minority as I am on a business trip and unfortunately not on a jolly tour in my Marlin of the scenic parts.
          Regards
          Dave

Comment

Anything over 750Kg needs to be braked, IIRC... I've seen a couple of motorhomes towing cars around here, and each of them had some mechanism of applying the car's brakes when the motorhome did... The one I saw most recently appeared to have some sort of cable operated actuator that was attached to the motor home when it was under tow.

This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/a-frames-and-dollies.pdf looked like on 6 Jun 2012 at 17:28:04

Comment

seen some here a la frog with a system of the over run type, how it works, no idea, possibly on the hand brake, but how? systems like this are frowned on here

Comment

Hi Bryan
                See attached pictures of Chris Cox A Frame I have these appear on Ebay around £200
                Dave Billings fabricated the bracket that attachs to the front chassis by 4 X M10 bolts. I used this assembly to tow my Marlin back from Dave after he had rebuilt and welded the rear chassis.
                I used it without connecting the braking system without any problem, although I am very experienced at towing trailers.
                The cable should be connected to the foot brake pedal in the car the theory being that as the towing vehicle brakes the brakes on the towed car should be applied by the forward movement, although I am unsure as to how effective they will be on a vehicle with a servo without the engine running.
                The Cabrio weighs over 750kg so the braking system must be used to comply with towing laws, a Roadster is less than 750kg ?
                Towtal in Stoke will fabricate brackets to fit Marlin and supply braked A Frame and electrics although the cost is getting close to the cost of a trailer.
                I see plenty of motorhomes towing with an A Frame only seen Smart Car small Toyota etc not seen anything out of the ordinary being towed though.
                Towtal say a Frames are legal in UK & France only Spain seems to be a problem in Europe.
                AA say A Frames are not legal and can only be used for recovery, a friend who makes trailers says the same.
                Regards
                Dave
                Last edited by cameronfurnival; 15-06-14, 03:23 PM. Reason: removed dead links

Comment

links don't work!

Comment

Have you got your car sorted now Dave?

Comment

Originally posted by tony.stott2 View Post
                      links don't work!
                      Trying again hopefully I have got it right this time

Dave2014-06-14 14.45.51.jpg2014-06-14 14.43.59.jpg2014-06-14 14.43.28.jpg

Comment

Hi Liz
                        Progress has been a bit slow other general life things have got in the way, not far away now though. Dave did a great job with the welding and fabrication which I have covered with lots of underseal and now with the rear tub back on you cannot see what he did.
                        Regards
                        Dave

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
                        Have you got your car sorted now Dave?

Comment

Hi folks
                          Thanks for the reply's
                          I have looked into it a bit further and the French authorits are looking into changing there laws to outlaw A frames so I will put it on
                          hold for now as the idea was mainly to use it in France

Many thanks
                          Bryan
                          Stapley Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan
                            For all concerned it could do with clear clarification yes or no, without any loopholes that seem to interpreted differently.
                            If the the French outlaw the use of A Frames as Spain & Portugal seem to have, that would surely affect the UK adversely.
                            Regards
                            Dave

Comment

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...dollies.pdf... perhaps its the can of grey primer that is causing such a grey area
                              Last edited by b_caswell; 16-06-14, 12:04 PM.
                              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                              X