Stoneleigh is to blame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoneleigh is to blame.

I've not read many comments about Stoneleigh, I must say, I was expecting more, however I drove my old Marlin Roadster the 110 mile down there and it was a good trip too with very little traffic on many of the roads, the old car did well with two of us on board, she was however heavier on the fuel than I expected, but doing the speed limit most of the way there with a clapped out 4 speed box and worn engine, she did ok. I was very impressed by Stoneleigh and the cars on show, the amount of money folks spend on kit cars is amazing, and I was surprised at the number of Marlins on show, mine I must say was one of the more worn variety. We had a good trip back home too, but shortly after I had "Ideas" I had been thinking about doing a few jobs on the Marlin for a while, as the Rack was knackered ( Broken bush one end and corroded rod joint at the other) and the front end of the car must be dismantled to sort this out, which led me to the "well past it" radiator, also removed, then the grill fell out, so I think I'll make a new one ( Similar idea to the Jaguar ). If anyone got close to my car and looked at the paintwork you may have noticed that it had been sprayed red using a hosepipe during a sand storm, so needless to say, I've removed and started rubbing down all the panels, a few were needing repairs or old repairs sorting out ( Could have done with a new drivers side running board ) I've just started stripping out the rest of the engine, gearbox next, then I'll press on with the body, I was going to do the bodywork and engine etc as a winter project but painting is hard going during our cold wet winters ( Especially after work) So now it's become a summer and possibly a winter project. One thing I know for sure now - my Marlin was once Navy Blue ! For those who may be interested, I've sent my old steering rack to Earlpart for reconditioning at £95.00 inc vat. I could not find another Mk1 rack anywhere, and the local company that overhauls racks, said they usually end up scrapping these racks as they are often too far gone. As I said, Stoneleigh is to blame, but hopefully, I'll be there next year, with a slightly better Marlin ??

Re: Stoneleigh is to blame.

wow Harry - sounds like you have really got the bug Keep us posted with updates and pictures as you go - others will find your restoration really interesting - and good luck!

Comment

Harry
      I have some LWB parts and panels that are for sale if you are intereseted. Marina based car that never got on the road.
      let me know if there is anything you need.
      Dave

Comment

Steering Rack:
        This is the internal bush that often fails on the rack. Available from Ebay here but they were also available via the Morris Marina Owners Club and FastMarina, assuming stocks are still available.
        It is one of the simple parts that can so easily be replaced, that was simply superseded by swapping the rack out, as it was a quicker turnaround for a garage.
        How to do the job, is described here

Comment

Good call on the internal bush Steve, I tried in vain years ago to obtain one for my old Roadster, ended up getting one machined at work.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
            Good call on the internal bush Steve, I tried in vain years ago to obtain one for my old Roadster, ended up getting one machined at work.
            It's a common failure point. What I don't know is what the rack refurb companies use. Perhaps they make their own too. It's a dwindling supply situation, and there may be a market for custom machined ones in the Marina and Marlin marketplace as there is no known alternative to a Marina rack. Unless someone else knows better?

Has the MOC has resources to get some manufactured.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              Steering Rack:
              This is the internal bush that often fails on the rack. Available from Ebay here but they were also available via the Morris Marina Owners Club and FastMarina, assuming stocks are still available.
              It is one of the simple parts that can so easily be replaced, that was simply superseded by swapping the rack out, as it was a quicker turnaround for a garage.
              How to do the job, is described here
              Thanks Steve, I was going to sort out just the bush but once I removed the rack I realized the other end was worn and had been dry for years, so the rod and ball end were corroded ( not the track rod end ball joints, they are new) so there was little I could do with it.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I might just get in touch, but so far so good.

Comment

Afternoon Cameron,
                  I found time to strip a bit more off the Marlin, also found more parts that need replacing, such as the worn starter motor with its broken bracket, I've just removed the cylinder head and found to my surprise that it's the big valve version ( I was going to get hold of one) so that saves me a job, however the exhaust valves and seats are damaged on cylinders 1 + 2, so a rebuild is in order, the head gasket was almost through between 2 + 3 as well, so it's just as well I decided to pull the car apart, I now need to remove the bottom end and gear box if time allows.

Comment

If you want a Mk 1 rack try Rimmer Bros. I have got one of their on 'Tolkien' (my Roadster prototype)

Comment

Originally posted by djj_engineer View Post
                      If you want a Mk 1 rack try Rimmer Bros. I have got one of their on 'Tolkien' (my Roadster prototype)
                      I think you will find we are talking Marina Mk 1, not Triumph Roadster (Mk 1).
                      AFAIK Rimmers do not stock Marina specific parts, though there are lots of cross over parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X