4 port master cylinder HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 port master cylinder HELP

Hi I have just fitted a Peugeot 205 master cylinder and Servo to my roadster to replace the dead Marina unit. The 205 unit has 4 ports instead of the 2 that the marina one had. Does anyone know if I can jut Tee the ports together to give me just two feeds or do I need to run new brake pipes to each wheel and if so should I connect diagonally or parallel I dont really want to replace everything.

Re: 4 port master cylinder HELP

Critical to your question (I don't have specific 205 experience) is the bore of the master cylinder, it will have a dramatic effect on braking effectiveness.
    The convention is NSF-OSR / OSF-NSR though which particular ports on the 205 are relevant, I have no idea!
    Presumably your original installation is single circuit. That means you have a lot of pipework to sort out if you go dual circuit. Not impossible but possibly best done with custom braided stainless brake lines.

Why did you choose a 205 as a donor?

Comment

iirc a four port m/cyl adjusts the proportion of force to all brakes whereas a two port one needs a brake proportioning valve in the circuit. You could blank off the unused ports with bleed nipples - that would be simpler than making up a tee section. Let us know how it goes as this might be a nice mod if it works. Standard 205s have 17mm bore (about 2/3")and the bigger engined ones have 20mm (about 3/4").
      Last edited by cameronfurnival; 28-06-14, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Well its up and running or should I say stopping , fitted new pipes to the front end and a tee piece to connect the rear brakes they now feel good and engine runs better which makes me think the servo had been leaking for a while. Not too bad a job to fit apart from the fixing bolts are a different pitch so had to make an adapter plate to bolt to the Marina pedal housing and then extend the clevis. The good thing was the steering rod sat perfectly next to the fluid bottle and the bottle sits level. the cylinder is the 20mm version.

Comment

Interesting.
          French donor braking components seem to be a recurring theme..!
          I don't suppose a Marina master cylinder fits a Peugeot servo..? That would be really useful.
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

A 20 mm master cylinder is close enough to a 3/4" (19mm) Marina one.
            Would be interesting to see some pics.
            I dont think it is particularly French but curious never the less.
            I assume all the connections were 10mm.

Comment

servo2.jpgservo3.jpgservo4.jpg

Comment

Funnily enough after owning both a 205 & 305 I dislike French hydraulics. You never know what will be fitted so you can't buy parts in advance of doing a job. It's only when dismantled you can check what make was used in the original build. Seems Peugeot used a variety of brake manufacturers to supply components so it's rare to find two in a row with identical parts !
                BTW my 205 (diesel) brakes were excellent so the servo / master cylinder is a good choice.

Paul H

Comment

Try this 281373369072

Adrian

Comment

Adrian that is my old one.

Comment

LOL

Adrian

Comment

with the price of a new M/C from Earlpart stretching over £300 this would be worth a punt for anyone wanting a spare one.

Comment

Working...
                        X