Wiring, Triumph Herald based Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring, Triumph Herald based Roadster

Today when out in Bampton, Devon, I indicated and turned right. The road was blocked with a van and lorry unable to pass, so I put on my hazard lights, after a couple of minutes as nobody was moving I went to turn the engine off on the key and it would not turn off, ran in time with the sequence of the hazard lights with ignition off!!!!!! I turned hazards and indicators off and all was fine. When I arrived home, everything works well with either hazards or indicators, not with both, any thoughts beyond not unintentionally, using both together? David.

Re: Wiring, Triumph Herald based Roadster

The Triumph Herald never had hazard flash so I assume you have an after market system. The wiring to the existing flasher unit should be diverted to the hazard switch unit and then that supplies a switched feed to the appropriate outlet that goes to the existing flasher unit. So when the hazard switch( which is also fed by a permanently live feed) is operated it should disconnect the feed to the indicator flasher that is fed by the ignition circuit and run the hazards from the permanently live circuit. I think what is happening is the hazards circuit is back feeding the ignition circuit because its not wired up correctly. Although I am open to any other theory!!
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
      The Triumph Herald never had hazard flash so I assume you have an after market system. The wiring to the existing flasher unit should be diverted to the hazard switch unit and then that supplies a switched feed to the appropriate outlet that goes to the existing flasher unit. So when the hazard switch( which is also fed by a permanently live feed) is operated it should disconnect the feed to the indicator flasher that is fed by the ignition circuit and run the hazards from the permanently live circuit. I think what is happening is the hazards circuit is back feeding the ignition circuit because its not wired up correctly. Although I am open to any other theory!!
      What fun old electrics can be. Sounds as if the negative circuit on the hazards could be worth looking at and maybe the negative connection to the engine from the battery could be improved.

Comment

Many thanks for suggestions, when I have time I will try and trace the wiring to the flasher unit. David.

Comment

Could be the hazard switch is faulty. Try these diagrams they may help .......http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/signals.htm
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
          X