Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chassis strength - jacking under bumpers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis strength - jacking under bumpers ?

Are the tubular bumpers on a Roadster strong enough to allow you to use them as jacking points and even support a whole car on them with axle stands ?

Thanks.

Paul H

Re: Chassis strength - jacking under bumpers ?

They have been used that way more than several times during builds with no reported problems.
    It certainly saves on back ache.

Comment

Check my build diary. These are modified Sportster build stands....works fine, and nicely mobile with the castors and a bit of care
      Attached Files

Comment

My only concern would be, how good was the welding. My rear bumper has been changed as originally it had a towbar fitted, the present one is poorly welded, needs redoing, just another job. David.

Comment

My rear bumper tows 3/4 ton folding caravan up and down the country so I hope its strong enough.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

That's all good news and what I wanted to hear. I have some 12 ton (each) axle stands that raise to just over 30" that are used on 4x4's. They would be perfect on my project to lift the car to a height more friendly for my knees
            I've got a Jackall Jacksafe which is like a mini forklift. It has two beams the same as a Jackall, HiLift or Farm Jack that have individual locking mechanisms so if one fails the other will still hold. It's intended purpose is to lift a Land Rover, Jeep or other vehicle with strong enough bumpers off the ground and be secure enough for you to then work on the vehicle without further support. It doesn't have a lift mechanism and you have to use a Jackall in the middle but I'm considering going over to either a Land Rover Defender screw pillar jack or double action hydraulic operation as Jackall's etc are evil (had one chop the end off a finger when it suddenly gave way when lifting my Range Rover) !
            This, together with the 12 ton axle stands, will allow me to raise and lower my Marlin in seconds to the 30" height.
            I've also got a pair of 12' long lengths of 9" x 4" channel section that I could use to make my own version of a 4 post ramp but that is now not necessary seeing others have confirmed the bumpers are strong enough.

Paul H
            Last edited by CompoSimmonite; 29-08-14, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X