Marlin Roadster Kit Car - Tayport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marlin Roadster Kit Car - Tayport

Now we are getting a sensible presentation of the issues.

Apart from the seatbelt mounts and the door locks (neither of which are insurmountable, nor have a significant cost) the rest are items that apply to all Marlins. Though the Cabrio was designed to be SVA friendly, it is not a "complete" solution for IVA, and the same considerations applied to it, as they will for the Roadster.
    (the windscreen surround can have the required radius added simply with an angle grinder and an apprpriate flap wheel in a matter of minutes)

I have to say the £450 initial IVA test fee, and the almost ubiquitous £90 re-test are a bit of a blow, but it applies to all unfinished Marlin kits, and still leaves room for a low cost car to be produced from an "unfinished kit".

Given Marlin were selling complete kits at around £6.5k, buying an incomplete Roadster kit for less than 10% of that, leaves plenty in reserve to cover the seatbelts etc, and will still represent incredible value for money for the right builder.

Comment

Some engineering work reqd on the front steering assembly to achieve the self centering that is reqd. All the above and more, dependant on which test centre you may chose. My personal view, do your sums well and then the decision is yours alone. Compare price of a neglected reg Roadster, or any other model which is reg for that matter. Consider the cost of a rebuild, and compare with the cost of a new un reg kit. Any thing is possible, but perhaps not for some, ie engineering skills above that of kit building, and of course the final cost of the car. I do know of some who have given up after several attempts at the test, and I am aware of the problem with the Berly front sub frame. This is a good example a Berly front end could be fabricated with top and bottom front wishbones on a (tower) with coilovers etc and the front subframe thrown away, etc etc. There is such a Berly built some time ago, but you can see my point about skills, cost and what may be involved.

Comment

Originally posted by danny.nelson View Post
        Some engineering work reqd on the front steering assembly to achieve the self centering that is reqd. All the above and more, dependant on which test centre you may chose. My personal view, do your sums well and then the decision is yours alone. Compare price of a neglected reg Roadster, or any other model which is reg for that matter. Consider the cost of a rebuild, and compare with the cost of a new un reg kit. Any thing is possible, but perhaps not for some, ie engineering skills above that of kit building, and of course the final cost of the car. I do know of some who have given up after several attempts at the test, and I am aware of the problem with the Berly front sub frame. This is a good example a Berly front end could be fabricated with top and bottom front wishbones on a (tower) with coilovers etc and the front subframe thrown away, etc etc. There is such a Berly built some time ago, but you can see my point about skills, cost and what may be involved.
        Which comes back to my point.

Isn't a Dual brake system, demisters and a fixed bulkhead between the passenger compartment and the fuel tank also necessary. Each is a relatively small cost but everything has a habit of accumulating beyond an initial budget and certainly time scale. If those two criteria are irrelevant to the builder, then OK, but the reason we see unregistered kits on the open market is precisely because one or both of those criteria were not met.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post

Isn't a Dual brake system, demisters and a fixed bulkhead between the passenger compartment and the fuel tank also necessary. Each is a relatively small cost but everything has a habit of accumulating beyond an initial budget and certainly time scale. If those two criteria are irrelevant to the builder, then OK, but the reason we see unregistered kits on the open market is precisely because one or both of those criteria were not met.
          If everyone took this attitude there would be no new kits built. All these items are required in a Cabrio, but does anyone advise against building a Cabrio?
          As yet, no one has put anything forward which makes a Roadster unreasonably difficult to put through IVA.

What happened to the pioneering spirit - does everyone want it all done for them these days?

Comment

A quick question, did you build your roadster of did you rebuild it?

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post

Comment

anyone building a car in the last "god knows how long" would always fit a dual circuit system, I cant imagine why anyone wouldn't - its no more difficult than fitting a single circuit in reality. There is no requirement per-se for a fixed bullkhead between fuel tank and cockpit although there is a requirement that fuel tanks are not in the same internal compartment - the easiest way of doing that is to fit a bulkhead as Steve suggests though a plywood (or grp or steel) boot floor will suffice. Demisters? mini heater unit is already plumbed for them and all you have to do is cut a slot in the dash top, hardly a big deal.
              Nobody has said anything tangible that suggests a roadster coudn't be IVAd yet. Yes, a bit of effort, but as Mike says, where's the pioneering spirit? No-body builds a kit thinking its going to be easy do they? Apart from the edge radius requirements there is nothing about a roadster that is substantially different from Cabrios, locosts, GBS etc etc - its all down to the individual's tenacity

Comment

Just a note - I have a mini heater available if you want it FREE.

Let me know, will only be the cost of postage.

Comment

Well that was an interesting thread. I think I'll put this one in the too expensive bucket rather than the too hard bucket. I think if someone has lots of spare time and cash then it's doable, but that's not me.
                  - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

At least there have been some positive thoughts.

Hope to see you around in a Marlin sometime.

Keep in touch.

Adrian

Originally posted by david View Post
                    Well that was an interesting thread. I think I'll put this one in the too expensive bucket rather than the too hard bucket. I think if someone has lots of spare time and cash then it's doable, but that's not me.

Comment

Are you coming to Kop Hill this year, only a few weeks away
                      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Yep see you there.

Comment

Are you booking into the paddock display, or heading for the cherished vehicles area? The same cost if two of you coming (£20 for a car with a passenger or £10 each on foot, or in the cherished vehicle area). Actually, what year is your Marlin? If it's at least 25 years old we can book you in on a club pitch.

Comment

Hi I wont be in my motor but i will be with a freind who has a Stag.

He's getting the tickets so I'm not sure.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                            X