Good service!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good service!

I have been checking my Roadster over for its MOT and found the master cylinder had a slight leak, easily fixed with a tune up kit, unfortunately when I come to bleed the brakes I found the bleed nipple on the front caliper was cross threaded and seized - I am happy to report that I dropped the callipers in at Wanapart on Monday and had them delivered back fully refurbed on Friday morning and all at very reasonable rates.

The wiring is another matter, started tracking back from light switch (main beam fault) and have ended up stripping the whole loom to start again....

Re: Good service!

It could be the earth, This is a little piece I wrote for Restart the ACTC magazine.
    The Laws of Brown and Branson for Marlin Owners

Sod has one, Murphy does and so do a collection of 19th century physicists so I don’t see why Andrew Brown and I shouldn’t.
    Brown’s law states that whenever an electrical component on a Marlin fails to function the reason will always be a problem with the earthing of said component.
    Branson’s law states that despite knowledge of Brown’s law and often prior demonstration of it Marlin owners will always spend time fiddling around with the live feed to a failed component before suddenly remembering Brown’s law and correcting the fault with the earth.
    I can quote examples of these laws. I well remember stopping to help Andrew at the bottom of Stoney street on the Land’s End when his headlights failed. He was well into dissembling the live wiring to the lights and I offered my meter to test for volts. When I met him later he confirmed what we both should have known that the problem was with the earth.
    The new addition to the Branson Marlin stable has had intermittent problems with its headlights. On the night before the Northern they wouldn’t work at all. I spent at least 45 minutes tracing the live feed from the switch to the fuse to the dip switch to the light until suddenly the penny dropped and I connected a jump lead from the negative pole of the battery to the headlight bar. This produced an immediate blaze of light and demonstrated Brown and Branson’s laws.
    For those of you clever clogs who think you can defy these laws I would remind you that they belong to the same class as Sod’s law of which the complete definition is ‘ A piece of bread with butter and jam on will land butter and jam side down unless required to do so to demonstrate Sod’s Law. So next time a light goes out on your Marlin and you think I’ll show those idiots with their laws. You will spend the requisite 45 minutes undoing rusty nuts, losing them under the bench, getting everything clean with wire brush and emery paper and thoroughly restore the earth you will then find that what was needed was a new bulb. Don’t even think that by testing beforehand that you may avoid all the bother because even if the bulb works at the outset by the time you have sorted the earth it won’t. Trust me I’m a doctor.

Comment

I will state it in full.

Laugh out loud

Adrian

Comment

Chuckle, chuckle. Excellent! A bit of light relief after a long and tiring day at work. More like that please!
        Chris

Comment

Never a truer word written!

Comment

I take it you know about Lucas Smoke.

Comment

Been there and got the t-shirt! Most recently my indicators were not indicating so I went straight for the earth and cleaned everything from the indicators back to the battery earth and reduced the return resistance from 3 to very nearly zero ohms and the indicators still flashed very slowly so in the end I had to replace the flasher unit with a different type to get them working.
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I hadn't come across the 'Lucas replacement smoke' piece before, thanks for that. I have friend who must have used many canisters of it. The message a blown fuse sends him is 'put in the biggest fuse you can find, that will sort it'. I also has several Lucas 3 position switches - off, dim and flicker-

Comment

Steve, I have just read through the Lucas Smoke Kit Q&A section. I laughed out loud a lot which perplexed my dear Wife!

Comment

QUOTE "For those of you clever clogs who think you can defy these laws I would remind you that they belong to the same class as Sod’s law of which the complete definition is ‘ A piece of bread with butter and jam on will land butter and jam side down unless required to do so to demonstrate Sod’s Law." The chances of the bread landing jam side down are inversely proportional to the cost of the carpet!! Trust me I am an accountant!!
                    Last edited by b_caswell; 07-09-14, 09:09 PM.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
                    X