Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster rear suspension...

Hi,

Some of you will know that I'm looking for a Triumph 6 based hybrid because I feel the Marina leaf sprung live rear axle is a better setup than the Triumph transverse spring independent. My own build was Marina based and I was recently reminded how good the car drove when test driving a Marin based roadster.

Having run a Triumph Vitesse for a while I know that it's possible to improve the rear end with a swing spring conversion and lowering block, better shocks etc.

My question is are these concerns about a jittery and not so well planted feel of the Triumph rear end unfounded in an all Triumph based Marlin?

cheers,

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Roadster rear suspension...

The all Triumph Marlin can also take the Mk2 Vitesse /GT6 rear end which actually uses a lower wishbone. But the normal set up using the drive shaft as the lower link works well on the little roadster because with low centre of gravity and minimal body roll the chances of getting the rear outside wheel to tuck in are reduced to almost zero. I feel the reputation of the antics of a Herald or Vitesse rear end misbehaving are over stated. I too have owned a Vitesse (still waiting to be restored) I drive a hybrid and my son has a Mk1 all Triumph roadster all of which drive nicely. However it is probably true to say the Marina live axle is cheaper to maintain .
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben, the all Triumph car I was looking at has also sold. Not having much luck at the moment!

David.
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

having had several Spitfires no...the four wheel kind. I can say that I only had rear wheel tuck-under once when I bottled it on a wet bend and lifted off. The result wasnt the inevitable brush with the geezer holding the scythe and I was actually disappointed that the rumours about the poor handling were over-stated. It did wobble and complain but the thing held on quite well and I didnt even had to correct teh steering very much. My little X1/9 was much more entertaining - mid engined it would corner like a train but if it di let go - whoa that was exciting. I guess Im saying that a reasonable driver not behaving like he (or she) is on a track wont have any problems in my opinion.

Comment

Almost every car has a power/performance limit. Almost every driver has a similar limit. It's when one exceeds the demands of other that the problems occur.
          The Marina solid axle does have its own limitations as does the Triumph arrangement pre 1970. It's rather more important to consider driving skills and abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
            Almost every car has a power/performance limit. Almost every driver has a similar limit. It's when one exceeds the demands of other that the problems occur.
            The Marina solid axle does have its own limitations as does the Triumph arrangement pre 1970. It's rather more important to consider driving skills and abilities.
            I agree, having had an International Rally Licence for a number of years maybe I'm being overly concerned and at 54 should be slowing down a bit

Comment

Working...
            X