anyone know this car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know this car?

does anyone rcognise this car? i'm currently waiting for my insurance broker to confirm my new car's insured so i can go and collect it. i'm living in the dordogne region of france and we're having a nice spell of weather that i hope will continue for a few more weeks so i can sort out any problems i find (always some, aren't there).

does anyone recognise this car? reg no C438TMO declared new in 1985 but 1st reg 1999? i'd love to find out some of it's history.

Re: anyone know this car?

Yes I know the car, in fact I found the car. However I am not sure if it has changed hands since. I will email the gentleman and find out.
    Danny.

Comment

hi danny, the car is in sw france now. the current owner is french and has limited knowledge of the car's history. i'd like to find out everything i can about it. i've commited to buy it and i'm quite happy with the deal and paperwork, but a conversation with thje builder or last owners of the car could be very helpful in putting together a clearer picture of what i've got. did you "find" the car in the uk?
      Last edited by bouzirouge; 26-09-14, 12:54 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

well what i've been able to find out, posing more questions really is if it's an '85 it souldn't have that front or the sierra running gear? ykc bought the stuff in 1993 according to this site so is it an old chassis modified or a new chassis described as '85 for some reason of type aproval or something? how can i tell. insurance now in place so itching to get the car.frenchman is now not responding to calls or emails though the add's still up selling it. only been 24 hours since i mailed him so not worried yet. any info will add to me zero knowledge at this point so don't be shy. anyone?

Comment

you can pm me if you don't want what you know shared.

Comment

The '85' refers to the age of the doner vehicle 1985 C reg the same year as my doner.
            The car you have is the Romero which is based on Ford Sierra running gear ( does it have a Ford Pinto engine ?).
            The 1st registration is the date the car was first registered after being built - 1999 - the first Romero's came out shortly after I bought my Roadster which was 1994 -5 so it looks like it was purchased as a kit between 1995 and 1999 when it was finished and registered in 1999.
            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

hi, it's a 2.0 litre injected ford unit. the car is registered on the v5 as a ykc romero. so i assume the kit was bought sometime after '93. i didn't realise that the donor vehichle would play such a big part in the v5 though. nice it's got a C plate rather than a Q. i was hoping someone would be able to put me in touch with the builder or at least tell me some of the car's history. the actual car is featured in the club's gallery. danny nelson seems to know something about it. hopefully something will come from that. i'm very gratefull to everyone who has taken the time to write. i'm a new member and i've not even picked the car up yet. still hot dry and sunny here. can't wait.

Comment

It should have a kit number somewhere which may give more indication of the date of the kit. On Marina cars it was on the left front chassis behind the bumper but not sure on YKC cars.
                Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

This is the location on a YKC Roasdster, probably the same on yours ?

Number maybe 20-.........

What does your V5 say for chassis number ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Have you bought this Romero from another Scot living in France? I do know the car. I have read all the above. All the factory number on the chassis will tell is the approx date the kit left the factory, which we can already determine. So I dont see this as any help to you. I may be able to contact the builder but can not say for sure yet. I can tell you most of what you may want to know regarding spec etc. Are you trying to gain information in an attempt to reg this car on Frech reg? What if anything has the previous owner told you in regard to this? Was the previous owner a large gentleman (Mike)? Should you wish to contact me direct you can email [email protected]
                    Best regards
                    Danny.

Comment

Hi sorry I have now read your post again. You bought the car from a French man so I may be able to put you in touch with the previous owner who sold the car to him.
                      Danny.

Comment

hi guys, many thanks for the replies. i'm only waiting on the french guy to get back to me so i can pick up the marlin. it's not exactly just round the corner so i can't say about numbers etc just yet. i'll be back on when i have the car.

Comment

My kit number came in an envelope taped to the chassis so it my be a customers choice as to where to put it.
                          YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Just a quick update. the french guy who is selling the marlin has taken to ignoring me. i'm not sure where i stand. i've made a deal with him, i've insured the car and i'm just waiting for him to say when i come and collect it. i've no clue what's going on but i'm starting to smell a rat. not sure where the scam is if that's what it is but the car exists, the v5 exists. i'm paying close enough to the asking price that i cant believe he's changed his mind about selling. patience!!!

Comment

Probably unrelated but the last two Marlins I've tried to buy I have been beaten to it by 'a French guy', is it possible someones started dealing in Marlins and yours is in the middle. Have you seen the car?
                              - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
                              - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                              - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                              - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
                              - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
                              X