Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal scam

Look out for new Paypal scam!
    You will get an email from them saying that they have taken £35.50 from your account to pay for your Skype account.
    There is a section at the bottom which says click on this to dispute.
    If you do click on this it brings up a fake Paypal page and asks you to put uyour email and password in, DON'T as they will now have control of your Account.

Posted on 3rd October 2014
    Derek

Re: Paypal scam

There are several phishing scams that operate the same way.

There is one sure way of avoiding them. Never access any personal information by clicking on a link in an email.

If you think there is the smallest measure of doubt contact the organisation involved directly, preferably opening a new browser window using a known Internet address. Failing that do it the old way and phone them up using a known phone number.

These scams are not exclusive to Paypal, I have seen them from just about every financial institution as well as some email providers like BT as recently shown on this forum!

Always take care of your own passwords, PIN number etc.

Comment

Another one is saying you have a tax rebate of say £1350.00, to claim click here and fill the form in.
      It does looks very authentic
      Regards
      Dave

Comment

get one of those every week, never been tempted, tax office and rebates don't work for me!!;-D

Comment

the trouble is these scams are getting more and more cunning - just remember to keep your wits about you - if it seems to good to be true it usually is.

Another thing to be wary of is the guys calling you up supposedly from Microsoft telling you they think you have a virus - they then tell you how to fix your computer and help you install software which downloads all your confidential information. I love it when they call me up as I can keep them talking for hours.

There's nothing new, there have always been people who will try to steal from other people - its just that there are now new ways to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronfurnival View Post
            the trouble is these scams are getting more and more cunning - just remember to keep your wits about you - if it seems to good to be true it usually is.

Another thing to be wary of is the guys calling you up supposedly from Microsoft telling you they think you have a virus - they then tell you how to fix your computer and help you install software which downloads all your confidential information. I love it when they call me up as I can keep them talking for hours.

There's nothing new, there have always been people who will try to steal from other people - its just that there are now new ways to do it.
            I string these guys along for 10 minutes then tell them I think my computer is a Apple thing...
            - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
            - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
            - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
            - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
            - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
            X