Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Shift for Marina 1.3 Gearbox

Hi all

Has anyone fitted, or indeed is there such a thing, as a quick shift for the Marina 1.3 Gearbox?

Adrian

Re: Quick Shift for Marina 1.3 Gearbox

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
    Hi all

Has anyone fitted, or indeed is there such a thing, as a quick shift for the Marina 1.3 Gearbox?

Adrian

Triumph boys might help but I have never come across one.

You could always shorten the lever, but then you might not be able to reach it.

You could always bolt in a Ford T9. the lever comes back about 100mm and you can fit a quickshift to it very easily.

Comment

I dont really want to go down the expense of the T9.

Yes it would put the gearlever out of reach.

Comment

Assuming you have budgeted for an arm extension you could try contacting
        http://www.thebriton.com/shifters.htm - email contact at the very bottom of the page.
        Has a range of solutions for various classics including Triumph, MG.
        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hiya

Thanks for this I have just emailed them.

Any other ideas would be useful.

Adrian

Comment

It would look something like this.

This one is for a mini.

800600001c-22a1750.jpg
            Attached Files
            Last edited by listerjp2; 09-12-14, 01:52 PM.

Comment

There was an earlier shorter cranked gear lever part number 22G 1428 for the single rail box but you cant rush the change on those boxes Morris or Triumph you just wreck the synchro rings.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I'm watching this with interest

Comment

Hi Ben

Not looking for it to shift quicker, just with less movement.

It will stop me hitting the dashboard (which I don’t want to make smaller) with my knuckles.

Adrian

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                  There was an earlier shorter cranked gear lever part number 22G 1428 for the single rail box but you cant rush the change on those boxes Morris or Triumph you just wreck the synchro rings.

Comment

If you have the lever with the anti vibration bonded rubber centre you can pull the top half off and then cut a new thread on the bottom half for the knob.
                    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben

I am obviously not awake but can you explain further, are you talking about the gear lever knob being anti vibration??

Sorry to appear so thick.

Mine is the small mk1 knob (excuse the expression)

Adrian

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
                      If you have the lever with the anti vibration bonded rubber centre you can pull the top half off and then cut a new thread on the bottom half for the knob.

Comment

The anti-vibration rubber filled tube can be removed (if you have one) but it would dramatically shorten the gear-stick putting it out of reasonable reach.
                        The parts list shows the anti-vibration 'lump' that I think Ben was referring to.

Mk1
                        Here or there

Mk2
                        Here or there
                        Last edited by stevejgreen; 12-12-14, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Which numbered part are we talking about?

Comment

The gearstick itself!

As your problem seems to be excessive movement in the gearstick it's probably worth looking for wear at the lower end of the gearstick before taking a hacksaw to it.
                            The lower end of the stick moves the gearbox rail in a ball and cup located in a cast yoke, being pinned to the end of the selector shaft. If there is significant wear in the cup, or even in the securing pins, allowing the yoke to wobble on the selector shaft it will be amplified by the length of the gearstick.
                            The end of the gearstick is a large ball joint followed by a smaller ball that locates in the you're, below which finally there is a pin that is intended to stop reverse from being accidentally selected, this pin is also subject to wear crating extra wobble etc.
                            Some of these parts will be available from Rimmers.

Comment

Adrian, Just caught up with this thread and fully get what you are on about. My knuckles were always too close to the dash in 3rd plus the gear knob was almost touching the handbrake when it was on. First you need a spare lever to do the job on unless the car is off the road. (It wasn't you who gave me mine last winter was it?) To get the shape of the lever I required I bent a length of coat hanger wire and clamped it with a mole grip to the steel/rubber damper. When this was perfected I bent a 13" length of 9/16" steel to match. Then I drilled a hole through the steel/rubber damper thing, the burning rubber stinks a bit, and pushed the new lever through. I welded it in (more stink) but you could thread the end and clamp it with nuts and washers if the lever is a good snug fit in the hole. I then got a wooden ball and enameled it black like a snooker ball. It works and looks great, I should have done it 15 years ago. If this is of interest and you need more info, just ask. Franklin.
                              Last edited by FranklinLeicester; 12-12-14, 04:24 PM.
                              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
                              X