Boys in Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys in Blue

Much as admire our law enforcers I have to share this tale with you. Last night my son was driving the Roadster (he's using it as a daily runaround as his MX5 fell apart at the seams). On approaching a roundabout just outside Market Drayton all the electrics went dead and he coasted to the side of the road. Fortunately someone stopped to help him and they were about to push the roadster onto the grass verge when beedo beedo beedo, flashing blue lights illuminated the scene and officer Plod got out.
    I wont do the ello ello ello bit - but from what my lad says it was almost like it. Officer Plod stopped them moving the car until he had inspected it. Apparently he used to be in the traffic division but had been transferred out to the sticks and given an Astra.

He got a depth gauge out and checked the tyre depth - brand new tyres -even still had the rubber flash moulding on.
    He looked at the number plates and said they were illegal - at this point I interrupted the tale being told and said, yes the number plates are illegal - black and silver was up to jan 73 and this car is feb 73 - no no, the officer told him they had the wrong letters on - my plate ends in L (for '73) but apparently it should have...a D
    Then he asked to see the SVA paperwork. My son said that the car had been tested in 1984 and didn't need an SVA. Plod said it did, it has to be "refreshed" every five years apparently. My son cheekily asked if the local force were busy that night and was told they were extremely busy (add your own thoughts there). After about 20 minutes and finding nothing tangible (the radio messages all coming back positive) something else distracted him and he drove off leaving my lad under instruction not to move the car without a proper low-loader.

Conclusion - no wonder he got moved from traffic.

Re: Boys in Blue

suggest you forward a letter to the chief constable pointing out all the incorrect points brought up by his officer.. if as a result you get stopped by the same officer again ask him to send for his supervising officer on the day before he proceeds any further as you need a witness to his interview .

Comment

There again if these lads had just nicked your pride and joy you would only be too pleased the copper turned up. Lucky he didn't get 3 points and a £60 fine for number plates that the ANPR cant spot.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Some years ago I was stopped for having silver/black plates and got a £30 fine, but no points. They obviously don't like them but seem to be OK with strategically placed black screw heads, incorrect spacing, and incorrect type face.
        YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

yes - joy riders! My lad thinks the car is the best thing he has ever driven! He says it gets a bit light around 75mph (shhh). I said I had never been over 50 in it! I think I will get soem proper plates made up just in case - pretty they may be but it aint worth £60 etc. - Like the advice about the supervisor -I didnt know you could do that.

Comment

I have permanent white/yellow plates with the fastening screws (stainless/s 6mm) which are tapped M3 then the silver/black plates have a captive M3 screw that screws into the fastening of the white/yellow plates, so for shows etc they are easily changed. Having said that I was caught on my way home from a show.
            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Cameron, if your car was first reg in Feb 73 there is a good chance the car was actually manufactured before 1st Jan 73. its the manufacture date that counts so you could get a Heritage check for the old Marina to see when the car was actually produced.http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....hive-services/
              Last edited by b_caswell; 28-01-15, 11:11 AM.
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Ben - thats great information

Comment

My Black and silver plates are on my 74 roadster but my number is a Northern Irish one so no date letter. I used to cable tie a set of yellow and white plates over the top of them when I put the car in for its MOT. the last time the examiner said why did I do it as far as he was concerned for the sake of a year and the fact that it wasn't going to kill anyone he didn't care. Now that's what I call using common sense.

Comment

Many years ago I was A framing my XJ40 that I'd just bought behind my LPG powered Volvo 240GL when it died on a roundabout on the A50 at Uttoxeter. This was early hours of the morning and a Police van pulled up behind me so I started to get worried (wasn't causing an obstruction or hinderance to others). Sergeant got out and had a word with me then called the other officers out of the van to give me a push to a safer area. He wished me luck in getting it going (was loose connection in fuse box) and said if I was still broken down when he'd returned from dropping the PC's off at their various beats he'd go get the Forces Land Rover to tow me to a layby and ring AA for me (pre mobile phone days) True gent and "old school" Police officer who just wanted to help public.

Comment

funny how different people have differing experiences with number plates, I have black and silvers on my Q plated roadster nearly always have had, never been pulled up on it, not by plod, nor MOT tester.

Comment

my lad has been pulled over 7 times in two weeks!

Comment

maybe he should get some cards printed, next time they fancy a chat they could just give him a ring be easier

Comment

Originally posted by nigel c View Post
                            maybe he should get some cards printed, next time they fancy a chat they could just give him a ring be easier
                            lol!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X