Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for radiator, header/expansion tank ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for radiator, header/expansion tank ideas...

For Triumph 6 based hybrid. Pics etc very much appreciated.

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Looking for radiator, header/expansion tank ideas...

My system is as the original vitesse but with a slimmer bottle for the expansion.
    Attached Files
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

OH heck dont know how to reduce the picture to a sensible size, that doesnt normally happen,

Comment

Large is good, I can see the detail. Did you say that's a Vitesse radiator? Have you used the Vitesse brackets on the side or did you remove them and create new mountings?
        - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
        - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
        - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Yes it is a Vitesse rad with the chassis mounts removed I then made up two long Z brackets fixed to the threaded stud on the sides of the rad that would normally hold the Vitesse engine bay sides. The return of the Z uses the two bolts each side of the Marlin nose.

The Z brackets have U brackets formed at the bottom to locate the rad fore and aft. The other mod is the top hose outlet that has been resoldered in a straight position to get the hose inside the side panel.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by b_caswell; 17-03-15, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Until I decide on a replacement radiator I've removed the modern plastic header tank from the heater plumbing! and the air bleed valve/blue pipe near the thermostat housing and added an inline hose mounted filler cap and expansion tank, both from Car Builders. Thanks to Ben for that idea. I need this because a previous owner has mounted the radiator lower than the thermostat plumbing, thereby making it impossible to fill the system up from the radiator filler. I was going to put a blanking filler cap on but I don't seem to be able to exert enough downward pressure to get it onto the radiator so left the alb cap on and sealed the overflow. I will have another go at getting the blanking cap on, or at least put a higher rated cap on so it doesn't open (as the 7lb cap will open first).

Pics of old and new below.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by David; 23-03-15, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X