Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And finally it's a complete rebuild!

Hello all!

It's a long time since I've been there...

Remember, I bought a 84 Kent fitted Roadster last november. She looked nice, even if I knew she was not in a perfect state.

At that time I was far from reality

Part after part, I discovered that this car had a complicated life, beeing built (or rebuilt) by several owners with different definition of quality and safety, that probabely stated globally that "s..t + paint = new", or endorsing some kind of philosophy that says that you're still alive until the very second you die

I treated the electrical harness with cutting pliers, removed all carbody panels, and now that the chassis is naked I decide that everything has to be rebuilt from scratch..

Fortunately the engine group is neat, the chassis is not rusted under the massive paint and coaltar coating. The aluminium panels are a little bit oxyded, showing that she was probabely left in a salted atmosphere for month not to say years.

Now the moto is : LIGHTWEIGHT & SPORT

The Kent will be fitted with a 224, the exaust is to be inox rebuilt, lumenitron, facet, Weber and all stuff...

The single sheet 4mm alu dashboard will feature Lucas classic switches, SMITHS gauges and old fashioned round warning lights, A2 inox and 6060 alu everywhere...

The servobrake is certainly the one fitted on the donnor car, a Marina. Due to the lightweight of the car, I decided to remove it and to replace it by a direct master cylinder without assistance. It's probabely a common fitting for those who don't need a smooth brake pedal.

My concern is the possible spare part, I'm certainly not the first to use such a simple master cylinder

Could somebody give me some info on this? I need a double output master cylinder, with or without reservoir.

A WW Cox TRW seems to be suitable, but this is a personnal bet. Any idea?

Additional question: is there somebody that knows a magic to remove the old neoprene (contact) glue on alu panels? Rotating brush is a little bit tuff.

Regards,
    Christophe.
    Last edited by DamnedFrog; 07-04-15, 10:08 AM.

Re: And finally it's a complete rebuild!

Sounds like you might as well go the whole way and swap the pedal box for one of these depending on whether your clutch is cable or hydraulic.

Comment

Hello Steve

Yes that's a good idea. My clutch is cable operated but I know that exist slave cylinders that pull instead of pushing. I'll just have to find it

Regards,
      Christophe.

Found: http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product...oducts_id=4080
      Last edited by DamnedFrog; 07-04-15, 11:38 AM.

Comment

another forum member fitted a peugeot master cylinder...thread is here

PS I knew you wouldnt settle for anything less than a rebuild!

Comment

I swear on my honour Mr Justice, I just wanted to change a blowed fuse!
          This being said, there was no fuse to change anywhere so I started to dig

Comment

OK, finally I would try this:

This assembly is widely available, this distributor is the cheapest.

Christophe.

Comment

As good as any other but as legroom is a consideration for many I would look at a top mounted rather than a floor mounted version.

Comment

Originally posted by DamnedFrog View Post
                OK, finally I would try this:

This assembly is widely available, this distributor is the cheapest.

Christophe.
                This is made by a company called obp. They have their own web site. The price is the same but they have many different pedal boxes to choose from.

Comment

Hello all!

I discovered at a hundred Km from home in Nevers (France) a company specialized in laser cutting of alu "sheets" from 0,5mm to 20mm thickness, at very competitive prices (for instance, a dashboard made of 3mm AG4 with holes for 5 switchs, 2 gauges and 8 lights costs 49,99€ including VAT and shipping in France).

They can even punch the rivet holes with a sub-millimeter precision, so anything is possible providing you can use a DXF editor.

So this is decided: all the alu parts of the Roadster are to be changed, CAD redesigned and rivetted in "aerofashion" style, without any interior trimming except rubber carpets.

A fuse, it all began with a blowed fuse...

Thank you Steve and Scott for your suggestions, I would redesign the front part to accept a pedal box according to my legs

Pictures are to come, and infos for the electrical harness that will be rebuilt with in a modular way: a "hub" and four "satellites" (rear/front/engine/dashboard).

Regards,
                  Christophe.

Comment

Working...
                  X