Exhaust Wrapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Wrapping

Is wrapping the manifold a good way of reducing heat under the bonnet? What experiences have you had?
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Re: Exhaust Wrapping

It will reduce the heat under the bonnet a bit, especially beneficial if you have heat sensitive components or pipework that runs near the exhaust. The other benefit is that by keeping the exhaust gases hotter and therefore less dense they exit the system easier with a theoretical small increase in power. In practice I doubt you would notice any increase. A small risk when wrapping non-stainless pipework is that moisture can get trapped between the wrap material and the pipe causing corrosion which you won't be able to see. I sealed mine with several coats of silver heat resistant paint. Whether or not it worked I guess I won't know until the exhaust falls off!

Comment

Don't wrap cast iron manifolds. They will crack.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

the heat has to go somewhere - wrapping moves it further along the system in theory

Comment

Originally posted by jon.cox View Post
          Don't wrap cast iron manifolds. They will crack.
          Ditto. Especially for Marina based cars. Not recommended by Peter Burgess the MGB guru.

Comment

I agree with the "not wrapping cast Iron" here is the result if you do, you find out when the wrapping starts to weep soot
            PS Rover V8

IMG_1475.JPG
            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Hi . I reluctantly wrapped my stainless manifold (because I prefer the look of the naked pipes), not to reduce under bonnet temperature but to heat up the area around my o2 sensor. I have an air/fuel ratio meter that I can couple up to the signal wire from the o2 sensor and was puzzled why I did'nt get constant readings when the engine was warmed up. Eventually the penny dropped that because the o2 sensor on my system is a relatively long way from the cylinder head, the gases were not reaching the neccessary 500 degrees for the sensor to function properly. After lagging the pipework I'm getting much better readings which will allow me to fiddle around with ecu settings to optimise the air/fuel ratio. David

Comment

Since I don't have a stainless steel system the consensus seems to be that wrapping it is a bad idea. Thanks guys you may have saved me a lot of trouble.
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Working...
                X